Recently updated on July 22nd, 2020
100% Whole Wheat Pizza Dough |Pizza Dough With Wheat Flour is a healthy substitute to regular pizza which is made with refined flour or bread flour.
Step by step instructions with pics will help you make pizza easily in your kitchen.
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
This Pizza dough made with 100% wheat flour is a one-stop destination for most of your bread recipes.
And if you have a sweet tooth, then by adding little more sugar to the same dough you can make sweet loaves of bread made with orange marmalade and Nutella: ORANGE BABKA BREAD or CHOCOLATE BRAIDED BREAD
Whole Wheat Pizza
Pizza, very easily, crossing the boundaries of Italy, has established itself in all parts of the world. It is a household name in our country too. Serve chapati to children and they will make all sorts of faces. Serve them pizza and they are ever ready for it.
Over the years, there have been tremendous changes in the form of pizza. From all-purpose flour to whole wheat flour, from regular base to thin crust and from exotic vegetables to very simple seasonal vegetables.
Pizza, if I put it in simple words, then I can easily say that it is a beautiful makeover of our dear Chapati.
Though nothing to beat the taste and goodness of chapati but keeping in tune with the times, if the same chapati is served in a new style, then? Then it is a good change keeping everybody happy and looking forward to meals.
Made of whole wheat flour, loaded with veggies and great in taste….then why say no? Not only that but it is also too easy to make.
Trust me whole-wheat pizza is just as good and as yummy as a regular pizza made of all-purpose flour.
Similarities Between Our Indian Chapati and Italian Pizza.
- Pizza dough is kneaded the same way as chapati dough except that in the former yeast too is added.
- You can make this dough with whole wheat flour or with all-purpose flour or a combination of both.
But seriously there is no need for all-purpose flour. You try it and the difference will not be apparent at all.
If you are fond of Pizzas, then have a look at my collection of different types of Pizzas which include vegan and gluten-free pizzas too:
- Pizza Muffins
- No Yeast Pizza
- Vegan Pizza using Sourdough base
- Millet Pizza (without Yeast)
- Pizza Rolls
- Rolled Pizza or Stromboli
Isn’t it amazing! Do try and share your feedback regarding this.
New To Bread Baking?
Once you get familiar with yeast then the pizza base is good to start with. You get an idea of the yeast, dough etc and then can move easily to bake loaves of bread. You do not require a loaf tin. No fear of cracks or getting a perfect loaf of bread.
However, if you are friendly with yeast then forget the above posts and dive straight into the recipe below.
And still, if you are not comfortable in using yeast then try these easy PIZZA MUFFINS. These muffins are made without yeast and the best thing is that very little cheese is used in this. A perfect healthy option to have in the breakfast. Try it!
And if you want to avoid yeast for whatever reasons, then you can try this PIZZA DOUGH WITHOUT YEAST recipe in which even baking powder/soda is not used.
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough With Instant Yeast
I have simplified the process by adding yeast to the flour only. So, ensure that your yeast is good. If you are not sure about the quality of your yeast then I would advise you to proof it separately in water first, If it gets frothy and bubbly then you can be sure of getting good pizza dough. You can check how to proof yeast in water in PIZZA ROLLS RECIPE.
Doubts Related To Pizza
Today I make Pizza very often but frankly speaking, this was not the case with me until a few years back. Though I could bake loaves of bread, garlic bread, buns etc but the pizza was raising doubts. Doubts as to whether to bake the base first or to bake base with sauce or with everything, etc, etc. Somehow I was not comfortable making pizzas at home. Also, the results were not great so pizzas took a back seat. Sometimes, the problem is not as big as we project it in our thoughts. Probably, this was the case with me also.
But, as usual, with practice and reading, I have overcome this aspect and now, we have pizza in our dinner at least once a week, that too, of whole wheat flour.
I have tried to clear each and every aspect of pizza making.
How To Make Pizza?
- Direct Bake: As far as pizza base is concerned, once the dough is ready then straight away roll the dough, put sauce, veggies and cheese and then bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 180 degrees C in OTG or 200 degrees C in microwave convection. For thin-crust pizza, it is better to make directly, that is roll out, spread toppings and bake.
- Or, you can make the base in advance and keep in refrigerator till use. To make the base, roll out, bake at 180 degrees C for 5 to 7 minutes. Let it cool on wire rack. Pack in ziplock bags and put in the refrigerator. Use within a day or two.
Both are fine, whichever suits you more. Normally, I bake all the pizza base first and then start making pizza. This is just to fasten the process otherwise it is very time-consuming and everyone has to wait for long.
You can make it on the baking tray or pizza stone or pizza pan.
Well, I make it in my baking tray of OTG.
Detailed Recipe Of Whole Wheat Pizza Dough With Step By Step Pics
- This recipe makes: 4 Thin Crust Pizzas: 8″ round or 8″ by 8″ square
- Add salt, yeast, and sugar to the sifted flour.
- Knead using lukewarm water.
- When the dough stops sticking and gets smooth then keep it in a greased container for the first rise.
- After the first rise, it gets double.
- Now, punch the dough to release the gases. Gently knead for 10 to 15 seconds and divide the dough into 2 parts. At this stage, you can keep this dough in the refrigerator after packing it in a ziplock bag.
- Keep one part covered and roll out the other on the kitchen platform
- Dust the baking tray with flour.
- Keep the rolled-out base in this tray and may stretch to fit in there. Do not worry if it tears here and there.
- Spread pizza sauce, HOMEMADE or store-bought.
- Arrange veggies of your choice…
- Grate Cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 180 degrees C. Take out of the oven.
- Sprinkle Oregano, chilli flakes and lots of love and serve…
How To Make Pizza Base Ahead Of Time
- Roll out and prick holes using a fork.
- Bake at 180 degrees C for 5 to 7 minutes, till half done.
- Cool on a wire rack and pack in zip lock bags and keep in the refrigerator.
- Take out, make pizza as usual.
Can I keep The Pizza Dough In the Refrigerator Or Freezer?
After the first rise of the dough ( that is after step 9 of ‘making dough’ method), you can keep it in refrigerator up to a day or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Whenever you need to make, take out 30 minutes before making so that it softens up. And then proceed as usual. If in the freezer, take out and keep in refrigerator overnight. When becomes soft, take out and proceed.
But, I will repeat that fresh base tastes the best.
Recipe Card Of Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
My Cup Measures 240 ml
For Pizza Dough
- 3 Cups +1 Tbsp 400 gms Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Instant Yeast See Note 1
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1.5 Cups 300 ml Warm Water (See Note 2 and 3)
- 1 tsp Oil
For Making Pizza
- 1/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour for dusting etc
- 1/2 Cup Pizza Sauce Homemade or Store bought
- 2 Onions
- 2 Bell Peppers
- 1 Capsicum
- 1/4 Cup Corns mushrooms, olives etc
- 400 gms Pizza Cheese
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- Oregano to taste
- Chilli Flakes to taste
For Pizza Dough
Sift flour and salt.
Add instant yeast and sugar to the sifted flour and mix nicely.
Start kneading, using warm water.
Knead for at least 15 minutes till dough stops sticking and becomes smooth and shiny (See Note 4).
Take a greased bowl. put the dough in it and then invert the dough so that the greased side comes on the top. This is important or else the dough may dry up and form cracks while rising.
Cover the bowl with cling film or lid and let it rest for an hour or so, in some warm place (See Note 6).
When the dough gets doubled, deflate it to release the gases and knead for 30 seconds or so.
The Pizza dough is ready now.
At this stage, you can keep it in the refrigerator up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months or just go ahead and make pizzas.
For Making Pizza
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C for at least 15 to 20 minutes. During this time, do the following preparations.
Divide the dough into 4 parts, make balls and keep it covered for just 10 minutes.(See Note 7)
Chop veggies, as per your liking and grate cheese. (See Note 9)
Sprinkle flour on the kitchen platform, take a ball and roll it thinly using a rolling pin. Roll it just the way you roll out a chapati.
Sprinkle some flour on the baking tray and put the rolled out base on it. This is done so that the base does not stick to the tray.
Lightly brush oil on the base all over, for 2 reasons. Firstly, by doing so it will not get soggy once the sauce is spread and secondly, the crust will get crispier on baking.
Spread pizza sauce, toppings, and cheese.
Keep it in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 1o to 15 minutes, till cheese melts and the bottom gets well cooked.(See Note 12)
Serve immediately with love, oregano, etc optional.
- This time, I have mixed yeast directly into the flour so please ensure that your yeast is of good quality and is not expired. If not sure, then please proof it in warm water first. For proofing take 1.5 cups warm water, add sugar and yeast. Cover it and leave it for at least 10 minutes till frothy. Knead sifted flour with this water.
- Use warm water only for kneading otherwise yeast will not activate and consequently, your dough will not rise.
- The quantity of water may vary slightly, a tablespoon more or less, depending on the flour, so take care of this and add water slowly. In case, you end up adding too much water then add a little flour, as required.
- For kneading, sprinkle very little flour on the kitchen platform, put the dough there, press it with the heels of your hands at different places. when spread then fold it and again start pressing. Do this for about 4-5 minutes till the dough becomes smooth, shiny and clears the poke test.
- If you poke a finger in the dough, it will spring back. Also, if you hold the dough in your hand then it will be firm and not be sagging.
- Rising time depends on the quantity of yeast and on the weather conditions. During summers it may rise in 45 minutes to 1 hour. Whereas in winter it may take even up to 2 hours.
- When dividing the dough into 3 or 4 parts, it's better to roll a log and cut with a pizza cutter. Do not tear it with hands as it may destroy the gluten developed during rising.
- Use and chop veggies as per your liking and preference.
- If grating cheese in advance, then mix a little salt in it so that it does not stick.
- You can even make Margherita Pizza, which is just sauce and cheese, no veggies.
- Always lay toppings after placing the base in pizza pan/ baking tray, this is because once laid, it is very difficult to lift it in the raw state.
- If the top gets cooked and the bottom is not then cover the top with aluminium foil and if possible, shift the baking tray to lower rack.
- Since I have made it the thin crust, I roll out thinly. If you want to make normal then roll slightly thick, say 1/2" thickness. Also, bake it a little longer. Remember, it rises during baking so do not roll very thick.
- If you want to use just half the dough, then after deflating and dividing, pack the remaining half in cling film, place it in an airtight container and keep in refrigerator up to 24 hours.
I hope you have liked this recipe for making Whole Wheat Pizza Dough and will surely try it out for your loved ones.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest Twitter Instagram(#samirasrecipediary) too. for latest recipe updates. Thank you!
Stay Fit… Stay Happy