Recently updated on March 4th, 2020
Brownie! An exotic dessert comes with its own Brownie points. There is a craze for this brown beauty. At the same time, Cake has its own plus points with a huge fan following.
So, Brownie and Cake…are they different? But they look more or less similar. Isn’t Brownie a chocolate cake only? What’s your viewpoint regarding this?
If you are offered a piece of cake as well of a Brownie, won’t you easily see the difference? This is because they are different!
Brownie and Chocolate Cake, though look similar but are different. Before we dig into their differences, let us first understand their meanings.
If we talk of the definition of Brownie then it is a baked dessert which is normally square. It may include chocolate chips, nuts, or other ingredients. They usually have a dry and somewhat crispy top layer with a soft and sometimes gooey body.
It is denser than a cake and softer than a cookie. Thus, it lies somewhere between the cake and cookie.
The Brownie was first made in Chicago for an event attended by ladies only. It is believed that Brownie was actually a baking disaster wherein the baker presented his not so fluffy chocolate cake in an appetizing way, which eventually became a hit. Whatever the story maybe, but it’s true that Brownie today is an exotic and much-loved dessert.
TYPES OF BROWNIES
Brownies are classified into three categories, namely, Fudgy, Chewy and Cakey.
- Fudgy brownies: Made with melted chocolate.
- Cakey brownies: Made with cocoa powder
- Chewy brownies: With a combination of both melted chocolate and cocoa powder.
Special Things About Brownie
- Ideally, no leavening agents are added in Brownies, (however, in eggless Brownies, we do add Baking Powder). This is the reason Brownies are flat and not rise like cakes.
- No Baking Soda is added. If you add, it will be like chocolate cake.
- Also, brownies are slightly underbaked which means that unlike cake when a skewer is inserted then some crumbs stick to it. Remember, only the crumbs and not the batter.
- Brownies are supposed to have crumbled rough-looking crust but shiny at the same time.
- Normally, while baking a cake we don’t beat the batter once the flour has been added but for brownies beat it well. This will give your brownies a chewier texture along with shiny crust. When you beat the batter, gluten develops which in turn makes the brownie chewy and the crust gets shiny. This is the reason why cake batter is not beaten whereas the brownie batter is beaten.
A cake is like a sweet bread made from a batter that is usually baked. Typical cake ingredients are flour, sugar, eggs, butter/oil, liquid and leavening agents like baking soda or baking powder.
Types Of Cakes
Like Brownies, cakes too come in variety of types. These can be Pound cakes, Sponge cakes, Teatime cake, Chiffon cake, Cheesecake, Mud cake and many other.
Cakes can be served plain or decked up with various types of frostings. The plain ones are preferred as tea time cakes. The decorative ones can be filled with chocolate or fruit compotes or buttercream/whipped cream. They are further laden with marzipan or fondants or piped borders and various other toppings.
Cake is often served as a celebratory dish on ceremonial occasions such as weddings, anniversaries, Birthdays (nowadays for breakups also). There is a special cake for every occasion.
There are countless cake recipes with countless flavours.
So, arent Brownies and cakes different? Now, let’s summarise The Differences Between Brownie And Cake
The Difference Between Brownie And Cake
|A cross between a cake and cookie.||A type of sweet bread|
|Flour, Sugar, Eggs, Cocoa Powder, Butter, Dark Chocolate||Flour, Sugar, Eggs, Cocoa Powder, Butter, Leavening Agents|
|Chocolate is more||Flour is more|
|Dense and Crumbly||Light & Fluffy|
|Cracked with a shiny top||Smooth, Creamy Top|
|As a Dessert. It can be served with whipped cream or Icecream||On Ceremonial Occasions|
|Icing||Normally, no icing. At the most, melted chocolate or Ganache is drizzled||With or Without Icing.|
|Flavour||Only Chocolate||Endless flavours|
Must Read: Eggless Chocolate Walnut Brownie Recipe
Hope the difference between brownie and cake is clear now. 🙂 And now you will not get confused either while eating nor while making it.
Share your thoughts on this topic.
If you like this post on the Difference Between Brownie and Cake then do share your feedback as it fuels my enthusiasm to post more good content.
Join me on my Facebook page to know about my latest recipes.