- 0.1 Garlic Bread Vs Garlic Rolls
- 0.2 New To Bread Baking?
- 0.4 Can I make Ahead Garlic Rolls?
- 0.5 How To make Whole Wheat Garlic Rolls?
- 0.6 Step By Step Instructions To Make Whole Wheat Garlic Rolls
- 2 Easy Garlic Rolls Recipe With Whole Wheat
Recently updated on July 7th, 2020Jump to Recipe
Easy Garlic Rolls Recipe With Whole Wheat|Garlic Rolls is shared with step by step pics and all the tips needed to make perfect rolls.
Soft n delicious, flavoured with garlic and herbs, made with whole wheat, use of very little yeast…what else is required? These rolls are equally good for evening snacks or for guests. In fact, these are great party starters.
Unlike PIZZA ROLLS, these garlic rolls are stuffed with garlic butter and some herbs only.
Served with mayonnaise or any other dip, they taste heavenly.
Garlic Bread Vs Garlic Rolls
Garlic Bread and Garlic Rolls are the two sides of the same coin. Dough, for both, is same, it’s the shaping up which gives them different names. But I have made slight differences in the two recipes so that they stand apart.
In my garlic bread, I have used all-purpose flour and cheese as well. But these Garlic Rolls recipe is purely healthy with whole wheat and little semolina. You can try with 100% whole wheat also. But semolina gives a better texture. The choice is yours!
However, if you have a sweet tooth, then do try PEACH CINNAMON ROLLS.
You can also try these sweet loaves of bread made with orange marmalade and Nutella: ORANGE BABKA BREAD or CHOCOLATE BRAIDED BREAD
New To Bread Baking?
If you are new to bread baking and not confident of using yeast then I would advise you to go through the following 2 posts as it will take away all your fears and give you the confidence. ALL ABOUT THE YEAST and BASIC STEPS IN BREAD BAKING
However, if you are friendly with yeast then forget the above posts and dive straight into the recipe below.
And still, if you are not comfortable in using yeast then try these easy PIZZA MUFFINS. These muffins are made without yeast and the best thing is that very little cheese is used in this. A perfect healthy option to have in the breakfast. Try it!
Can I make Ahead Garlic Rolls?
You can make these Garlic Rolls and store in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days. Just warm them up in the microwave/air fryer and they are good to be served.
How To make Whole Wheat Garlic Rolls?
Garlic rolls are made with Pizza dough only. You can make pizza dough using either refined flour or whole wheat flour or a mix of both.
Here, I have taken whole wheat flour and have added little semolina to it. For making pizza dough, again I used instant yeast. Instant yeast can be added directly to the flour and thus I mixed it in the flour only. But do so, only if you are sure that your yeast is good and is not lying in your pantry since long.
If unsure about your yeast, then I would suggest that you proof it in water first. If it gets frothy and bubbly then this will be an assurance that your garlic rolls too would come out good. To proof it in water, you may refer my post of GARLIC BREAD.
Once the pizza dough is ready, you can use it for making any type of bread or pizza. Other than Garlic Rolls, you can consider making any of the following with it:
Step By Step Instructions To Make Whole Wheat Garlic Rolls
- Whole wheat flour, salt, dried yeast, sugar and garlic powder in a big bowl and whisk nicely.
- Add honey in lukewarm water. Knead above mix with it. Add oil.
- Knead for 8 to 10 minutes till the dough gets smooth and shiny.
- In the meantime, prepare Garlic Oil. Heat olive oil, saute garlic and herbs in it for 30 seconds or so.
- Cover and proof it for an hour or till double in volume. As shown below.
- Divide it into 2 parts.
- Sprinkle flour on working surface and roll one part. Spread garlic oil with herbs on it. Keep the other part covered till further use.
- Roll it.
- Cut Roundels.
- Flatten each roundel with palm, opening the layers at the same time.
- Keep the roundels in a greaded baking tray.
- Cover with a cloth and leave for 20 to 25 minutes for second proofing. Before baking brush milk on these.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or till golden brown.
- Keep them on a wire rack. Brush butter. Cover with damp cloth till completely cool.
Recipe Card Of Easy Garlic Rolls With Whole Wheat
Easy Garlic Rolls Recipe With Whole Wheat
My Cup Measures 250 ml
For The Dough
- 1.5 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 Cup Semolina, Fine
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Teaspoon Honey/Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Instant Yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder (Optional)
- 1 Cup Lukewarm Water
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 2 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1/2 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon Mixed Herbs (Optional)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Basil, Dried (1 teaspoon if using Fresh)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Parsley, Dried (1 teaspoon if using Fresh)
- 1 Tablespoon Milk, For Brushing Before Baking
- 1 Tablespoon Butter, For Brushing After Baking
For The Dough
Take whole wheat flour, salt, dried yeast, sugar and garlic powder in a big bowl and whisk nicely.
Knead it using lukewarm water. Having lukewarm water is very important. It should be such wherein you can put your fingers comfortably.
Too hot water will kill the yeast and if not warm then yeast will not activate.
Add oil and continue kneading.
Put the dough on your kitchen counter and knead for another 4 to 5 minutes. Stretch the dough using the heel of your hands, fold it, then again stretch. Soon the dough will be smooth and shiny.
Grease the bowl liberally, put the dough in it, invert the dough so that the top also gets oily. Cover it with a plate or lid and let it rise for an hour or so till doubles in volume. Time is just a rough guide and will depend on the weather. If too cold then it may take even longer. So, instead of time, watch your dough.
While the dough is proofing, prepare the filling.
For Filling, heat oil in a pan, saute minced garlic and all the herbs for 30 seconds or so. Use when completely cool.
When the dough has risen, punch it to release the gases. Knead it lightly for few seconds.
Divide the dough in 2 equal parts. Keep one part covered and work with the other part.
Sprinkle dry flour on the kitchen platform and roll the dough using a rolling pin. Keep the dough 1/4'' thick. Ensure that you are able to lift the dough easily without sticking or tearing.
Spread a layer of filling on this rolled dough.
Roll it. Seal the edges with the pinching motion. For this, wet your hands and then do it. This will making it easy.
Using a pizza cutter/knife, cut roundels. Slightly press the discs with your palm so that they flattens up a bit.
Keep the roundels in a greased baking tray. Leave a little gap between rolls.
Cover it with a kitchen napkin and leave it for 20 to 25 minutes for second proofing. During this time, rolls will further double up in volume.
After 15 minutes, start preheating the oven at 190 degrees for 10 minutes.
Brush the rolls with milk and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or till the rolls are golden brown. Keep the baking tray in the middle rack.
For the initial 15 minutes, bake with only the bottom rod on. After 15 minutes, use both the rods so that the top gets beautiful golden colour.
After taking out of the oven, keep the rolls on a wire rack.
Brush the rolls with butter, this will give a shine to the rolls.
If not serving immediately then cover these with moist cloth. Covering with dampened cloth will keep the rolls soft.
Once completely cool, keep them in an airtight container.
Serve with love, mayonnaise/hummus optional.
- Use warm water only for kneading otherwise the yeast will not activate and consequently, your dough will not rise.
- To replace instant yeast with active dry yeast, use 2/3 tsp. As 1 TSP INSTANT YEAST = 1.25 TSP ACTIVE DRY YEAST.
- You can use the same quantity of sugar in place of honey.
- Rising time depends on the quantity of yeast and on the weather conditions. During summers it may rise in 45 minutes to 1 hour. Whereas in winters it may take even up to 2 hours.
- When dividing the dough into 3 or 4 parts, it’s better to roll a log and cut with pizza cutter. Do not tear it with hands as it may destroy the gluten developed during rising. If you want to use just half the dough, then after deflating and dividing, pack the remaining half in cling film, place it in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator up to 24 hours.
- The rolls rise during the rising time as well during baking, so it is necessary to keep a substantial gap between the two otherwise they may stick to each other.
I hope you have liked these easy ways of making Whole Wheat Garlic Rolls and will surely try it out for your loved ones. I will be happy if you share your creations on Instagram and tag me #samirasrecipediary there.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest Quora too. for latest recipe updates. Thank you!
Stay Safe… Stay Happy