How to make Hung Curd at Home? Its really easy and you can make it in your own kitchen. All it needs is curd and a few hours!
Hung Curd is a miraculous ingredient. It is not only loaded with health benefits but is the main ingredient in many delicious dishes. It works wonders for the digestive system and acts as a coolant in summers.
Sharing with you everything about Hung Curd including a super easy method as to how to make hung curd.
Various delicious dishes which you can prepare using this hung curd are:
- Blueberry Cheesecake
- Zesty Lemon Dip
- Mango Yogurt Lollies
- Coleslaw Sandwich
- Frozen Fruity Pizza
- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt,
- Mango Yogurt | Shrikhand
- Mango Parfait
How to make Hung Curd At Home?
Making the hung curd is really simple. Traditionally, people used a muslin cloth to make hung curd. But I find using a colander a much simpler and better option. How to use a colander? Just wait, first, let’s see what hung curd is actually.
What is Hung Curd?
Hung curd simply means curd from which all water has been removed. Yes, when we remove all the water content from curd it is called hung curd. The quantity of water content and time to remove it depends on the consistency of your curd.
Benefits Of Hung Curd
Curd is better than milk. And hung curd is better than curd. If I list some of the benefits of hung curd then these are:
- It is rich in protein and calcium thus good for everybody.
- It has low sodium content, therefore good for people suffering from High Blood Pressure.
- It is an excellent probiotic which means good for the gut.
- It aids in weight loss as it has half the carbs as compared to normal curd.
Steps Showing How To Make Hung Curd
- For making hung curd, place a colander on a big bowl. Now, put your curd in this colander. Cover it and leave it in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 3-4 hours.
- It is kept in the refrigerator so that it does not get sour due to heat at room temperature. However, in peak winters, you can keep it outside the refrigerator also.
- In the morning (or after 3-4 hours), you will see that a lot of water from curd gets collected in the bowl and curd is like a thick mass of cream.
- And what is left in the colander is hung curd.
- This hung curd is used for making many delicious dishes and dips too.
Note: For making Dahi kabab and cheesecake, you need to keep the curd longer in the strainer. In fact, toss it in between. Ensure that almost all the water in it drains out.
What is Whey And What Are Its Uses?
Water which gets collected in the bowl after preparing the hung curd is called ‘Whey’.
Please… do not throw away this whey.
It is quite sour in taste and can be used for many purposes. Fill it in a bottle and store in the refrigerator and use for any of the following purposes :
- Add in gravies: Instead of adding curd or dried mango powder (amchoor/ khatai) or lemon juice in your gravy, use this whey.
- Make Kadhi with this. You will love it. Mix gram flour (besan) in this water and proceed as usual.
- Make Instant Idli/ Dhokla batter with this whey.
- Add while making Cakes.
- Use this as a starter while setting curd next time, however, use little more quantity.
- Dilute it further and put it in your plants as this is rich in minerals.
- Use it for washing your hair.
- Knead flour with this water for extra soft and white chapatis.
Hope you have found this post useful. If you like this recipe then do join me on my Facebook page to know about my latest recipes. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm to post more good content.
Stay Fit… Stay Healthy… But most importantly, Stay Happy…