Eggless Banana Muffins with walnuts and chocolate …A wonderful combo! And when made with whole wheat flour then it becomes the perfect choice for breakfast. In fact, it can be had at any time of the day. Also can be easily packed in your little one’s lunch box too and they will take it with pride.
The recipe is extremely simple and hassles free. All the ingredients are always there in your kitchen, so no special shopping. You can make them in just 10 minutes and then another 15-17 minutes in the oven. By the time your oven gets preheated, your batter is ready.
My other muffins/cakes which you may like are:
- Must-Try: Banana Pancakes (Eggless And With Jaggery), an easy and quick recipe with over-ripened bananas.
- Vegan Chocolate Muffins
- 2 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake
- Breakfast Muffins
Eggless Banana Walnut Muffins
These banana muffins are my younger son’s Siddharth’s favourite. He loves to have these or simple chocolate muffins. And as these are healthy as well as simple to make, I too love making these. If in just one muffin, you can get the goodness of fruit, nuts, whole wheat that too with plenty of taste then why not?
Best Use Of Overripened Bananas
Banana muffins are made best with overripe bananas. Bananas, which have lost their colour, gone extremely soft, which normally no one likes to eat, are ideal for making banana bread or cake or muffins. Well, this does not mean by any chance that you cannot use fresh bananas. Use as per the availability.
Whenever I have overripe bananas, which no one is willing to eat, I make these muffins and they are finished in no time. But I do not use walnuts as my son Siddharth like these plain, without nuts.
How To Make Healthy Banana Muffins?
- Banana muffins can be made either in oil or in butter. I use either Nutralite butter or any oil which is there in my kitchen at that time, be it groundnut or olive or any other.
- Earlier I used to make these without curd, but recently I thought of giving it a try with curd, and the results were awesome, Muffins came out to be super spongy.
- Also, easy to make, quick to make with very few ingredients that too readily available all the time in your kitchen. Absolutely no reason to say no to these healthy banana walnut chocolate muffins.
- Of course, you can always omit cocoa powder and go for Banana Walnut Muffins.
Banana Walnut Muffins With Jaggery
Earlier I switched from all-purpose flour to whole wheat and now the shift is from refined sugar to healthy alternatives. I recently baked a cake out of this recipe but replacing refined sugar with jaggery powder and the result was equally good, in fact better, as they became healthier. If using jaggery then take care that it is dissolved fully. The best way to ensure that is to add jaggery powder along with the bananas in the mixie and then puree it. So, you will have fully dissolved jaggery that too easily.
Banana Muffins Or Cake?
You can make a cake too with this recipe. Instead of muffin moulds, pour the cake batter in a cake tin, preferably 6″ and bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Banana Muffins In Pressure Cooker
I normally do my baking in microwave convection oven. But you can make these in otg or even in a pressure cooker. You can bake this cake in a pressure cooker too. Here’s the detailed method of baking a cake in pressure cooker/wok.
Baking Banana Walnut Muffins In Convention Oven
Of course, you can bake it in Otg. If you are using an OTG, then, first of all, preheat it for at least 12 to 15 minutes with both the rods ON. Thereafter, keep the baking tin on the middle rack and keep only the bottom rod ON. Do not use the top rod. Each Otg is different so keep a check on the cake after 20 minutes only. It may take longer or shorter time than prescribed here.
Step by Step Instructions To Make Banana Walnut Muffins
1. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt.
2. Add sugar and mix well. (You may use brown sugar or jaggery powder as well)
3. Make a well in the centre and put oil/butter, vanilla essence, milk and curd.
5. Add Banana Puree
6. Mix everything with light hands and add walnuts
7. Mix everything and put the batter in muffins liners. Sprinkle walnuts/choco chips, if desired.
8. Bake at 180 C for 16-17 minutes
Omit cocoa powder if wish to have pure banana flavour. In that case, add 2 tbsp wheat flour more and the rest of the ingredients will remain the same.
Instead of muffin moulds, pour the batter in 6″ baking pan and bake it for 30 to 35 minutes.
Recipe Card Of Banana Walnut Muffins
Banana Walnut Chocolate Muffins
Banana Muffins, with walnuts, chocolate and whole wheat flour are perfect for breakfast or for munching or for your little one’s lunch box. It is a very easy recipe and a good way to feed bananas to your kids.
- 1 Cup (120gms) Whole wheat flour (Atta)
- 2 Tablespoon Cocoa powder
- 1/2 Cup Sugar (See Note 3)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/8 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Cup Oil or melted butter
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 Cup Milk, lukewarm
- 1 Tablespoon Curd
- 2 Bananas pureed
- 1/4 Cup plus 1 tsp Walnuts, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Chocolate chips (optional)
Preheat oven to 180 C for 10 minutes. While the oven is getting prepared you also do the following preparations.
Line muffins liners in the muffins pan.
Reserve 1 tsp flour and sift the remaining flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Put the sifted ingredients in a big bowl.
Add sugar and mix.
Make a well in the centre, by taking everything towards the wall of the bowl.
In the well, put wet ingredients in the given order- oil, vanilla extract, banana puree, milk, curd.
Mix everything very lightly.
Mix chopped walnuts (1/4 cup) with 1 tsp flour (reserved in step no. 3) (See Note 7)
Add these flour mixed chopped walnuts and mix.
Adjust consistency with milk, if required. Though keep it slightly on the thicker side.
Fill muffins liners up to three fourth.
Sprinkle some walnuts and choco chips (optional).
Bake for 15-16 minutes.
Check for doneness of the muffins by inserting a wooden skewer.
If baked properly then take out. If not, then bake for 2 or 3 minutes more.
After taking out, keep the muffins on a wire rack. This is necessary so that they do not get soggy at the bottom.
Remains good at room temperature for up to 2 days. For longer duration keep them in the refrigerator after keeping in an airtight container.
Serve with a smile. A cup of coffee of would also go with it but optional.
- Please use standard measuring cups only. Don’t use cups available in your kitchen for tea, coffee etc as they are of varied sizes. My 1 Cup measures 240 ml
- The quantity of walnuts and chocolate chips can vary depending upon your taste.
- Use normal sugar, castor or powdered not required. Salt is added to enhance the flavour of sugar.
- You can replace refined sugar with brown sugar or jaggery powder.
- If using jaggery powder then add it along with bananas in the mixie and puree both together.
- Can make this with 1 banana also, but then again its a matter of choice.
- Mixing walnuts with flour ensure that the nuts are evenly distributed and don’t settle at the bottom of the muffins only.
- A thick batter will give rocky texture muffins. If you like a smooth top, then go for the batter with a dropping consistency.
- Do not over mix the batter. Mix it lightly.
- Can make these with all-purpose flour also or even half of each flour.
- If using silicon baking tray then first keep it in the baking tray and then fill the moulds. This is because, the tray is very soft and cannot be lifted once the moulds are full.
I am sure you will surely try this easy and wonderful recipe of Banana walnut muffins.
Please do take out little time to comment below in the comments section as your feedback fuels my enthusiasm to post more good content. And if you like it then do share it with your dear ones also on your favourite social media sites.
If you wish to stay updated with the latest recipes then follow me on my Facebook page.