Whole Wheat Choco Chip Cookies with jaggery and without using any leavening agents is a healthy treat for everyone especially chocolate lovers. These cookies are mildly sweet and taste extremely chocolicious as these are loaded with choco chips. Perfect to go with a cup of coffee.
These cookies are my son, Siddharth’s favourite and his only complaint is that I bake in very little quantity. I myself keep picking one every now n then. These cookies are really addictive! And the credit goes to choco chips.
These Choco chip cookies are soft from inside and crispy from the edges and are really easy and quick to make. If no pics are to be taken (like a food blogger or so) then you can make a lot of these in 30 to 35 minutes.
My Trials With Choco Chip Cookies
I have tried these choco-chip cookies several times and thus tried out different combinations. No doubt, it is a simple recipe, but whenever I made these, I did a little change to see how does it affect the taste, texture, and crunch of the cookies.
Salted or unsalted butter: Firstly, I have tried these choco chip cookies with salted as well as unsalted butter. Since we do add salt therefore, no difference at all. The first time I tried with salted butter, I was apprehensive that these might taste saltier but I was wrong. So, feel free to add whatever butter you have. If you are using salted butter then do not add salt in the flour. If unsalted butter then do add a little salt. Because salt is necessary to enhance the flavour of sugar as you must have seen that I always add it in all my cakes also.
Type Of Sugar: Next was Boora sugar, brown sugar, and jaggery powder. Again not a noticeable difference and you can use whatever you have. But if you are using jaggery powder then ensure that it has no grits. For this either pass it through a strainer or grind it in the grinder to get uniform powder. Also, I have used very little sugar as the choco chips added enough sweetness as well as taste.
Choco chip Or Chopped Chocolate: Both the cookies tasted good but I would prefer to use chopped chocolate. This is because when you chop the chocolate then along with the chocolate pieces you get some powdered chocolate which enhances the taste as well as the looks of the cookies.
Leavening Agents: Inspired by my Nankhatai and Butter cookies which are made without any leavening agents, I thought of giving these a try too. I made these with baking powder as well as without it. Both were good. In fact, my husband liked the ones without it more than which had baking powder. Yes, one difference was there and that was the shape. Cookies with baking powder looked better. But taste and the crunch was almost the same. So, I just avoided baking powder in this recipe. You may add 1/4 teaspoon of it in the four only if willing to add.
Mode Of Baking: I have tried these cookies in an air fryer, conventional oven (OTG) as well as in microwave convection. Of course, all three give superb results. It’s just that you need to understand your appliance fully then baking in it is easier and hassle-free. I have explained all the 3 modes below, choose whichever suits you the best. And, yes, you can make these cookies in kadhai also like any other cookies/crackers.
How To Make Chocolate Chip Cookies
To make these chocolate chip cookies, we beat butter, oil, sugar (or jaggery powder) and vanilla essence. You may beat it using an electric hand mixer or a wire whisk. When the mix gets light and fluffy and the colour also changes to creamish then add milk and again whisk it for a minute so that it is mixed well into the butter-sugar mixture. While mixing, ensure that butter doesn’t melt. If it starts melting then keep it in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes.
Add the flour mix in 2 or 3 batches, mixing it with light hands. It’s better to mix with hands to get the real feel of it. With a spatula, the mix may look very dry but when mixed with hands then it may not be that much dry. So, add accordingly. But still, if the dough is dry then add little milk. The dough should not be crumbly. Take very little dough in your hand, if you are able to form its ball by rolling between your palms then it’s fine. Keeping aside little choco chips, add the rest in this dough and mix lightly.
At this stage, start preheating the air fryer/ oven. Form cookies rolling between your hands and pressing it a little. Put little choco chips and press with hands so that it sticks there. Do not keep the cookies thick. Bake these cookies till edges changs colour and look cooked.
Do not wait and bake till the cookies turn hard in the oven. When you take out the cookies from the oven they are actually soft and you may be tempted to bake for some more time. But just look at the base and edges, if they are golden brown then these are done. Actually, cookies get crunchy only after getting cooled.
Always on the wire rack: After taking out of the oven always keep the cookies on a wire rack otherwise heat from the bottom will make these soggy.
Airtight container: Store cookies in an airtight container only after they are completely cooled. Even slightly warm cookies will get soft and soggy if stored when warm.
Butter Should Be At Room Temperature
You must have read it often almost with every recipe. Why is it so important? And what does it mean exactly?
As you know, I have baked fewer cookies and that too more by rubbing method, where cold butter is rubbed into the flour. Since creaming butter and sugar like this has not been much followed by me, I was not fully aware as to what does butter at room temperature means. When I tried to understand this then was really surprised by the results. Therefore, sharing that too with you.
Room temperature butter doesn’t mean melted or soft butter. For baking, take out the butter from the refrigerator a few hours before you start baking. It can be just half an hour or up to 2 hours depending on the weather. Butter is still in shape but not hard. When pressed with a finger, the finger doesn’t slide into it, rather a slight dent is left behind. And you will be surprised to know that even the room temperature butter is cold when touched. So, press it little and see whether ready to be used or not.
It is important to use butter at room temperature so that it is able to trap air during the creaming process. At the time of baking, this trapped air expands and makes the baked goods fluffy. So, next time do not undermine the importance of using butter at room temperature. Read more here.
Detailed Recipe Of Choco Chip Cookies With Step By Step Pics
- Sift wheat flour, cornflour and salt so that everything is mixed well and also the air is incorporated in it.
- Beat butter, oil, vanilla essence, and jaggery powder for 4 to 5 minutes until the mix gets light and fluffy and the colour lightens as seen in the pic below.
- Add milk, just 2 tbsp, and mix so that milk is mixed well in the butter mix. This will be slightly difficult but within a minute it will be mixed nicely.
- Add flour into the butter mix in 2 or 3 batches mixing lightly after each addition.
- Just bring the mix together with light hands without kneading.
- If the mix is still too dry, add 1 or 2 tablespoon milk.
- Reserve some chocolate chips for putting on the top and add the rest of these into the cookie mix.
- Mix lightly.
- Start preheating the air fryer at 180 degrees C. Preheat it for 5 to 7 minutes. During this time, form cookies.
- For this take little dough and flatten it a little by pressing between your palms.
- Similarly, make all other cookies. You will get approximately 15 to 18 small size cookies.
- Now, put some chocolate chips on each of the cookies and press lightly so that they stick there. (Along with the chocolate chips, I used the dust of it also which gave a very nice look to the cookies)
- Place all the cookies in the air fryer basket. You can keep close to each other as there is no leavening agent, therefore, they will not spread much.
- Reduce the temperature to 160 degrees and air-fry the cookies for 15 to 18 minutes.
- No need to flip the crackers in between.
- When the colour changes and sides get golden brown, they are done. Do not expect them to be hard. These will be soft at this stage and will get crisp when cooled completely.
- After taking them out let them cool completely on a wire rack.
- Serve with love, tea/coffee optional.
Baking In Conventional Oven (OTG)
- Preheat it at 180 degrees for 10 minutes with both the rods ON.
- Do not preheat the baking tray.
- Line the baking tray with parchment paper and Keep cookies on it.
- Use both the rods while baking and keep the tray in the middle rack.
- Check after 12 minutes and bake further accordingly.
- When golden brown, carefully lift each with a spatula and keep on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once completely cool, store in an airtight container.
- Serve with love, tea optional.
Baking In Kadhai
Refer to my Nan Khatai recipe for complete details.
Recipe Card Of Eggless Whole Wheat Choco Chip Cookies
My Cup Measures 240 ml
Whole Wheat Choco Chip Cookies
Whole Wheat Choco Chip Cookies with jaggery and without using any leavening agents is a healthy treat for everyone especially chocolate lovers.
- 1 Cup less 2 Tbsp Wheat Flour
- 2 Tbsp Corn Flour
- 60 g Butter, Unsalted At Room Temperature
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1/4 Cup 40 g Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2 to 4 Tbsp Milk At Room Temperature
- 1/4 Cup Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 tsp Salt
Sift wheat flour, cornflour and salt. Sifting incorporates air into the flour which makes the cookies light.
Beat butter, oil, vanilla essence, and jaggery powder for 3 to 4 minutes till the mix gets light and fluffy.
Add milk, just 2 tbsp, and mix so that milk is lo incorporated well in the butter mix.
Add flour into the butter mix in 2 or 3 batches mixing lightly after each addition.
Just bring the mix together with light hands without kneading.
If the mix is still too dry, add 1 or 2 tablespoon milk.
Reserve some chocolate chips for putting on the top and add the rest of these into the cookie mix
Start preheating the air fryer at 180 degrees C. Preheat it for 5 to 7 minutes. During this time, form cookies.
For this take little dough and flatten it a little by pressing between your palms.
Similarly, make all other cookies. You will get approximately 16 small size cookies.
Now, put some chocolate chips on each of the cookies and press lightly so that they stick there. (Along with the chocolate chips, I used the dust of it also which gave very nice look to the cookies)
Place all the cookies in the air fryer basket. You can keep close to each other as they will not spread much.
Reduce the temperature to 160 degrees and air-fry the cookies for 15 to 18 minutes.
After taking them out let them cool completely on a wire rack.
- Butter should be at room temperature.
- Skip salt if using salted butter.
- You can substitute chopped chocolate with choco chips.
- Initially add little milk only. Add more milk if required.
- After adding milk in the beaten butter-jaggery mix, it will be slightly difficult to mix as butter and milk will remain separate but after mixing for a minute it will be fine.
- Each oven/air fryer is different. So, keep an eye on the cookies 10 minutes onwards.
- Choco chips pressed on the top gives not only good taste but also improves the looks, so do not skip these.
I hope you have liked this recipe for making whole wheat choco chips with jaggery and will surely try it out for your loved ones.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest Twitter Instagram(#samirasrecipediary) too. for latest recipe updates. Thank you!
Stay Fit… Stay Happy