Recently updated on May 16th, 2020
Pasta in Spinach Sauce is a pleasant change from the usual red sauce or white sauce.
Easy and quick recipe along with its healthy quotient and wonderful taste indeed makes it an anytime to go for pasta.
Enough of Red sauce and white sauce pasta! How about adding a new colour to your pasta? This new colour is green but its not pesto sauce. Then? This green sauce is spinach sauce which is not only vibrant but brings with it tons of deliciousness and enormous health benefits. An excellent way to include the superfood, spinach, in your meals.
Pasta In Spinach Sauce At My Place
A few days back, while chatting with my sister in law, Archana Aggarwal, she told me that she had made pasta in spinach sauce and it tasted yummy. Pasta in spinach sauce? I couldn’t believe as that was something totally new for me. I found it a bit odd but as I have complete trust in her recipes, so after having an idea from her about that sauce, I made it that very same day. Though both my sons like spinach, Spinach corn in white sauce, is their favorite, but still I was not sure how they would take it in pasta. After all, till now they have eaten either Red Sauce or White pasta only and occasionally Pasta in Pesto sauce. I made it and was prepared for their nasty comments but on the contrary, they just loved it. It was a pleasant change from the usual red/white pasta.
Since then it’s a regular at my place.
A wonderful way to Feed Spinach To Kids
Leafy vegetables may be full of nutrients but somehow children normally are fussy and do not want to eat them. As mothers, we are looking for ways to feed veggies to our darlings. I have already shared in my Arrabiata pasta recipe that hoe you can include veggies in the arrabbiata sauce without kids knowing anything about it. But unfortunately, spinach can not be included there secretly because of its vibrant green color.
But no worries, there are hundreds of other ways where you can add spinach. Spinach sauce Pasta is one such recipe. Though, touchwood, my children love spinach, whatever may be made with it, be it Indian dishes like Palak Panner or any other or continental ones like spinach corn in white sauce. But still, I keep on looking for more and newer ways to increase the intake of this superfood.
So, whether your children are fussy in eating spinach or love it, in both cases it is an excellent way to serve them spinach.
How To Make Pasta In Spinach Sauce?
Like all other varieties of pasta, in this too, we prepare the sauce, boil the pasta and lastly mix boiled pasta in the sauce. The boiling part remains the same as with any other variety of pasta.
To prepare spinach sauce, I first sauteed the chopped spinach along with garlic. Saute it for 4 to 5 minutes till spinach gets soft. Then once it cooled down, I pureed it in the blender. And then, after sauteeing garlic in a pan, added pureed spinach and added milk with some seasonings. Give it 2 or 3 boils and the spinach sauce is ready. I didn’t add any veggies but if you want you can add bell peppers, onions, corns, etc. Again cheese is optional. As my elder son, Shivang is crazy for cheese so, I add it for him but not otherwise.
Tip: If you do not want to wait after sauteeing spinach then add some milk in it and puree it immediately. Addition
The other way is to blanch spinach, puree it and then make its sauce bu adding milk and seasonings. You can make it either way. It will be like the way we make Palak Paneer, with the difference in spices.
Brownie Points Of Pasta In Spinach Sauce
- First of all, a pleasant change from the usual red or white pasta.
- A good way to incorporate spinach in our meals.
- It brings with it all the goodness of spinach.
- Easy and quick to make.
Benefits Of Spinach
- It improves eyesight as it has lutein, a vitamin important for the healthy functioning of eyes.
- Improves bone health: As it is rich in potassium, even more than in banana.
- Keeps hair and nail healthy: As is rich in vitamin a and C.
- It improves hemoglobin as is rich in iron.
- Fights constipation as is a rich source of fibre.
- Boosts bone health because of vitamin k in it.
- It lowers blood pressure because of potassium, folate and magnesium in it.
- Reduces the risk of cancer as it has antioxidants like carotenoids, which eradicate free radicals from the body.
- Promotes weight loss: as it keeps you full for a longer period of time thus reducing craving for food.
- You can read about the benefits of spinach here.
Recipe Of Pasta In Spinach sauce with Step By Step Pics
- Boil Pasta
- Boil pasta as per instructions on the packet.
- While Pasta is boiling, you prepare the spinach sauce.
- Prepare Spinach sauce
- Clean, wash and roughly chop the spinach.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute chopped spinach for few minutes.
- Let it cool down a bit and then puree it in the blender or food processor.
- In the same pan, heat oil, saute garlic and then oregano and mixed herbs.
- Add spinach puree.
- Add milk and cook for few minutes till the desired consistency is reached.
- Lastly, add salt, basil and parsley.
- Give one last boil and spinach sauce is ready.
- Mix boiled pasta in the spinach sauce.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Sprinkle cheese.
- Serve with love, soup optional.
Pasta In Spinach Sauce
- 500 g Spinach
- 250 g Whole Wheat Pasta
- 250 ml Milk
- 1 teaspoon Garlic, Chopped
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Butter (Or Oil)
- 1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise (Optional)
- 50 g Cheese (Optional)
Boil pasta as per instructions on the packet.
Boil pasta in plenty of water.
While Pasta is boiling, you prepare the spinach sauce.
Prepare Spinach Sauce
Clean, wash and roughly chop the spinach.
Heat a pan and saute spinach for few minutes till it gets soft.
Let it cool down a bit and then puree it in the blender or food processor.
In the same pan heat oil, saute garlic and then oregano and mixed herbs.
Add pureed spinach and milk. Cook on high flame for few minutes till the desired consistency is reached.
Add mayonnaise, though optional.
Lastly, add salt. Give one last boil and switch off the flame. Spinach sauce is ready.
Mix boiled pasta in the spinach sauce.
Toss nicely for a minute so that pasta is fully coated with sauce.
Grate cheese, though optional.
Serve with love, soup optional.
- Quantity of milk can be adjust as per the consistency of sauce is preferred.
- You may add veggies like onion, peppers, mushroom etc. For this, saute veggies in the pan on high flame, then add spinach puree and proceed as in the recipe.
- You may add grated cheese or mayonnaise in the spinach sauce to make it more creamier.