Recently updated on July 6th, 2019
Chana salad or say chickpea salad, a simple yet very delicious salad. Rich in protein & fibre, it is gluten-free, vegan and good for weight watchers too.
Chickpeas Salad, though a very simple salad but is loved by all. I have made it several times and every time it has been a show stopper. Even my hubby, who is not a very salad loving person, likes this salad a lot and often asks me to make it. In fact, this chickpea salad and raw mango salad are the only two salads which he himself demands.
Benefits Of Chickpeas
- Chickpeas also known as Garbanzo beans are a very healthy legume which comes with a full package of protein, vitamins, minerals, and fibre.
- It is low in fat without any cholesterol. When combined with veggies, it becomes a perfect salad. It is an excellent side dish if you are hosting a large number of people.
- This salad is a meal in itself and is apt for weight watchers.
- Also, this is gluten free and vegan too.
What All To Add?
You can add veggies of your choice. I add very basic veggies like cucumber, tomato, capsicum and carrots. You can add onions, cottage cheese, bell peppers, celery or even kidney beans or black beans. Basically, add whatever you have handy in the kitchen. Try to make it colourful by adding varied coloured veggies.
One important veggie which I would recommend to add is ginger. Either grate it or add minced ginger. It enhances the taste of this salad manifolds. Also, add a lot of cilantro. However, in the absence of cilantro, you can even add basil or parsley or curry leaves or mint leaves.
Also, when in season, add finely chopped or grated raw mangoes. Taste of raw mangoes is simply outstanding. Reduce lemon juice in that case.
Also, make it at least one or two hours prior to serving so that the flavours are well absorbed.
So, next time you make Chana Masala or hummus or falafel, then reserve a cup of boiled chickpeas in the refrigerator. And the very next day, make this salad.
Now, The Recipe Of Chana salad
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Serves: 4
- 1 Cup Boiled Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
- 1/2 Cup Cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup Carrots, diced
- 1/4 Cup Capsicum, diced
- 2 to 3 Tablespoon Cilantro, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon Finely grated Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Roasted and Ground Cumin
- Salt as per taste
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper, Crushed
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoon Vinegar (Or lemon Juice)
- In a big bowl, combine boiled chickpeas and all the veggies.
- Season with salt, black pepper, cumin powder, oil and vinegar.
- Toss nicely.
- Keep in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
- Serve with love.
- To boil chickpeas, soak them in water for 4 to 6 hours and boil in the pressure cooker for 15 to 20 minutes or till tender. 1/2 cup chickpeas, when soaked and boiled, will give you 1 cup chickpeas.
- If you are using canned Garbanzo beans then simply drain and use them.
- In place of cilantro, you can add parsley, mint, celery or curry leaves.
I am sure you will definitely try out this super simple salad.
Related Recipes Salads & Soups
I am sure you will try out this easy and healthy recipe. When you try this or any other recipe of mine then do share your feedback and comments as you know your feedback fuels my enthusiasm to post more good content.
Tune in to my FB page for my latest recipes
Happy n Healthy Living