Recently updated on December 31st, 2020Jump to Recipe
How To Make Falafel in Air-Fryer so that they remain crispy? The beauty of the falafels is that they are crisp from the outside but are soft from the inside.
Vegan & gluten-free Falafel and that too in Air-Fryer is a wonderful way to retain all the nutrients of chickpeas that are otherwise lost in deep frying. It shows how even oil-free recipes can also be full of taste and lip-smacking.
Falafel In Air-Fryer
When I tried Falafels in my Phillips air fryer, they came out superb, keeping all the nutrients intact. Also, making falafel in the air fryer is not only guilt-free but is also a breeze. Just gather all the ingredients, make balls and then the air fryer will do its job of making them crispy.
Airfryer is a very handy and useful appliance. I love using it. Ever since I have got my Philips air fryer, I have been looking for all that can be air fried. Potatoes for Dum Alloo or for chaat, paneer for Matar Paneer/Pulao, nuts n onions for Biryani, frozen items, masala peanuts, breadsticks, cutlets/kebabs are some of the items I have been successfully doing in the air fryer. Day by day my usage of the air fryer is being increased. And the latest I made falafel in the air fryer. If you want to know about the pros and cons of air fryer and some other air fryer recipes then read my post Is Air Fryer Worth It?
If you do not have an air fryer, then you can make them in the oven or in an Appe pan or pan fry these. But to avail full benefits of falafels, avoid frying them.
What is Falafel? What Is It Made Of?
Falafel is a famous Middle Eastern street food made of chickpeas. In simple words, Falafels are chickpeas fritters served either as a snack with dips like Tahini or Hummus or is tucked in the pockets of pita bread or make a burger. And the best thing is that these falafels are vegan as well as gluten-free.
Is Falafel Healthy? Nutrition in Falafel
For vegetarians, it is a boon as chickpeas are loaded with proteins and are super healthy food in themselves.
Falafel is rich in protein, carbohydrates, fiber, and nutrients like calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, vitamin C, etc. Chickpeas are low in fat without any cholesterol but unfortunately, falafel, being fried, absorbs a lot of fat and thus the nutrients are overpowered by fat. So, if we can avoid fat then nothing like it. Thus, air fried falafel is healthy.
Use Raw Or Boiled Chickpeas For Falafel?
I have tried falafels with both raw as well as boiled chickpeas. But seriously, nothing to match with the falafels made with raw chickpeas. Soaked chickpeas, when grounded with herbs like parsley and onion-garlic then, believe me, the aroma it gives is simply mind-blowing. They are made so easily whereas the ones made with boiled chickpeas fall apart and is slightly ticklish to make.
If you are left with some chickpeas then you can try easy and healthy CHICKPEAS SALAD
Tips For Making Falafel
While making falafel, just take care of a few things.
- First of all, the chickpeas should be properly soaked. Soak till they become double in size. Like 1 cup chickpeas when soaked easily become 2 cups. Soak overnight or for 4 to 5 hours. Shall I give you a tip? If you do not have much time then soak these in a casserole in lukewarm water, your job will be done in almost half the time.
- Secondly, while grinding, keep it coarse and do not make a paste out of it.
- Do not use any water while grinding. As it is onions too will release some water while grinding.
- I prefer grinding it in my food processor. I add everything… soaked chickpeas, cilantro, parsley, and spices in the food processor and then grind it.
- If you grind it in a grinder then keep a watch that they are not overdone. Also, do not add parsley, onion, etc while grinding in the grinder. Just grind the chickpeas coarsely and then add all other things.
- Add little chickpeas flour for binding. Chickpeas flour makes it gluten-free and healthy too. You can add oatmeal or all-purpose flour also instead of chickpeas flour.
- Keep the mixture in the refrigerator for at least half an hour. During this time starch will seep out and will facilitate the process of making balls.
- After half an hour, take out the mix, make balls and cook as you wish… air fryer or oven or deep fry or pan fry.
‘This recipe is more or less adapted from here and it makes scrumptious Falafels.
Step By Step Pics As To How To Make Falafel In Air Fryer
- Soak chickpeas for at least 4 to 5 hours. Do you know WHY SOAKING CHICKPEAS IS IMPORTANT?
- Roughly chop parsley, cilantro, onion, and garlic.
- Put soaked and drained chickpeas, chopped onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro and salt, pepper in the food processor.
- Grind coarsely.
- Add chickpeas flour.
- Start preheating the air fryer. I use my Philips air fryer.
- During this time make balls.
- Put the balls in air fryer basket. Brush oil on these if you like (I didn’t).
- Air fry for about 15 minutes.
- Or, tuck them in pockets of air fryer, apply hummus and lettuce, etc, and serve. (I served without any salad as I didn’t have any that day))
How To Make Falafel in Air fryer Recipe Card
Falafel in Airfryer
Falafel in Air-Fryer is a wonderful way to retain all the nutrients of chickpeas which are unfortunately lost in deep frying.
My 1 Cup= 240 ml
- 1 Cup 200 g Chickpeas (Kabuli Chana)
- 1 Piece Onion, Chopped Roughly
- 3 to 4 Cloves Garlic Crushed
- 1/2 Cup Parsley Roughly Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro Roughly Chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- Black Pepper as per taste
- Salt as per taste
- 2 Tablespoon Chickpeas Flour (Gram flour or Besan)
Wash chickpeas thoroughly and soak them in enough water for 4 to 6 hours or overnight.
Roughly chop onion, garlic, parsley and cilantro.
Once chickpeas are properly soaked and doubled in size, drain all the water and put them in the food processor.
Add chopped onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro, salt and pepper.
Grind coarsely everything. It looks like a crumbled dough and is wet also because of onions.
Take out this crumbled dough in a bowl and add very little chickpeas flour until no longer wet and you can form balls out of it. It should not stick to your hands. If it does, add little more chickpeas flour.
Keep the dough in the refrigerator for at least half an hour. If possible for an hour or two. This resting period allows the excess starch to seep out and mixture binds together easily, thus becomes easy to form balls.
Preheat air fryer for 1o minutes at 180 degrees C.
Mix and make medium sized balls.
When the air fryer is preheated, take out the basket of air fryer and keep the balls in it and put the basket back in the air fryer.
After 7 to 8 minutes. flip the balls so that they are properly cooked from both the sides.
After another 6 to 7 minutes, see that the falafels are properly cooked and golden in colour.
Serve these with hummus or with pita bread and hummus.
- Ensure that you soak chickpeas in enough water as they absorb water and swell after some time.
- Before grinding, put the soaked chickpeas in the strainer so that all water drips out.
- If grinding in the grinder then it is better to grind chickpeas only. When coarsely grounded then add other ingredients like onion etc.
- In the absence of an air fryer, cook these in an Appe pan or in the oven or pan-fry them. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C for 10 minutes, brush oil on the baking tray, and lay falafels on it.
- If you want to deep fry these falafels then add a little more chickpeas flour so that they bind properly. Add one falafel in hot oil. If it breaks or falls apart then add a little more chickpeas flour.
- Before air frying, you may brush little oil on the balls.
Hope you will surely try out this yummy and healthy recipe of air fryer falafel for your loved ones. I will be happy if you share your creations on Instagram and tag me #samirasrecipediary there.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest Quora too. for latest recipe updates. Thank you!
Stay Safe… Stay Happy
Stay Fit… Stay Healthy…
PS: This post has embedded affiliate marketing links to enable me to earn some commissions out of the sale by any seller. The small amount of commission is used for the purpose of maintaining and running of this site without any extra cost to the buyer.