Recently updated on August 21st, 2020
This cake is really a quick one and gets ready in less than half an hour starting from scratch. This is the only cake where preheating is not required.
This cake is made in microwave oven and not in microwave convection. So, if you have a microwave, you can easily make this cake.
- 2 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake
- Vegan Chocolate Muffins
- Chocolate Muffins In Pressure Cooker
- Ragi Chocolate Muffins
Microwave Chocolate Cake For Blog’s First Birthday
Hello friends, today is my blog’s first birthday and to commemorate the occasion I have made Chocolate Cake in the microwave. It is a super easy recipe. Not only the cake but the frosting is even simpler. Why everything so simple on this special day ??? Well, for a simple reason.
Of all the compliments I have received during this first year of my blogging, the most common is that my recipes are easy and simple to follow. So continuing with the league I chose this super easy Chocolate Cake. Neither whipped cream nor cream cheese is used for frosting. Instead, it is the simplest frosting using Ganache. Don’t go by the name, soon you will see how simple it is to make.
I want all my readers to join in my happiness by making this cake. The ingredients used are very simple, normally available in your kitchen all the time. The total time required is just 10 minutes. 5 min preparation time and 5 min baking.
Tips To Make Cake In Microwave Oven?
The first and foremost thing is that here we are baking cake in a microwave oven. A simple microwave oven and not the microwave convection. Cake in microwave comes out super spongy and soft. So next time, when you suddenly have craving for chocolate cake or guests turning up at the last minute or simply when you want to have the best while lazying around then go for this cake.
- Since we are using a microwave, therefore only microwave-safe bowls can be used. Use only and only glass bowls. Please do not use plastic bowls in the microwave, how much branded they may be.
- The time required to bake this cake is 5 minutes but since all microwaves are different therefore time may vary by a minute that is either 4 or 6 minutes but not different than this. Check your cake after 4 minutes, if not done then bake it for 1 minute more.
- No preheating required: Another advantage of microwave baking is that unlike OTG you don’t have to preheat it. Prepare the batter and just keep it in the microwave.
- When baking in microwave always prefer to take a large bowl and just fill the batter only up to the halfway of the bowl. This is because the batter rises too much in the initial 2 to 3 minutes (like milk boils) and then settles down. So if the bowl is small then the batter may spill over.
For the frosting of this cake, I have used Ganache. Ganache simply means a mix of cream and chocolate in a certain ratio. There are different types of Ganache used for different types of frosting. The difference basically lies in the ratio of cream and chocolate. Here, we will be using both cream and chocolate in equal quantity. And the best thing is that you can use dairy cream easily available in your local market. Though you can use non-dairy cream also. So, the choice is yours.
This time I didn’t do any crumb coat or trimming. I just spread the Ganache on the baked cake.
And for the chocolate ingredient, I used the dark chocolate compound, but you can choose any other chocolate that you have access to. And the good news is that even if you have no expertise in melting chocolate even then you can use it. You will see it later.
Oh! I forgot to mention that even this is made with wheat flour. The taste is so good that I often forget this point.
Last but not least. Though baking in the microwave is quick and convenient but timing is very important here. Even if kept for 30 more seconds the cake may turn hard. Since all microwaves are different therefore do the skewer test after 4 minutes and proceed as required.
Brownie Points Of My Microwave Chocolate Cake
Really quick to make. just 5 minutes baking.
Ready in less than 3o minutes starting from scratch.
No preheating is required.
Made with whole wheat flour.
Soft, spongy and moist.
Easily available ingredients.
Easy frosting with easily available dairy cream.
So, ready to make this yummy-simple-5 minute chocolate cake? Here goes the recipe…
Detailed Recipe Of Chocolate Cake With Step By Step Pics
- Grease a 7′ microwave-safe bowl.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, coffee powder and cocoa powder at least 2 times.
- Add sugar and mix nicely.
- Make a well in the centre and add oil, vanilla essence, yogurt and milk.
- Mix everything. Adjust consistency using milk.
- Add vinegar. Mix once again.
- The consistency should be thick.
- Keep the bowl on a towel and tap it to release air bubbles.
- Keep it in the microwave and bake for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Do the toothpick test.
- Let the cake cool completely.
- When the cake is getting cool, prepare the Ganache. Break the chocolate into small pieces.
- Heat cream for 1 minute in the microwave.
- Put cream over the chocolate. Cover it and wait a minute or so.
- Mix nicely the cream and the melted chocolate.
- Invert the cake in a plate.
- Spread Ganache and Decorate with confetti or silver balls.
- Serve with love 🙂
Recipe Card Of Microwave Chocolate Cake
Microwave Chocolate Cake
Microwave Chocolate Cake, eggless and made with wheat flour, gets ready in just 5 minutes and is super soft and spongy. Frosting is also very simple. Ideal for novice bakers too.
For the Cake
- 1 Cup (130 g) Wheat flour (See Note 1)
- 4 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Coffee Powder (See Note 2)
- 3/4 Cup Sugar (See Note 3)
- 1/4 Cup Oil (See Note 4)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 3/4 Cup Milk (See Note 5)
- 1/2 Cup Thick Yogurt (See Note 6)
- 1/2 Tbsp Vinegar (See Note 7)
- 50 g Dark Chocolate (See Note 8)
- 50 ml Cream (See Note 9)
For The Cake
Grease a microwave safe bowl and keep it aside. Grease it all over, on the base as well on the sides. Grease it really well othewise the cake may stick to the bowl while inverting. It is better if you use a glass dish only, as plastic is not good for heating purposes.
Take all the dry ingredients- flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, coffee powder and sugar in a bowl.Whisk properly using a wire whisk so that everything gets mixed nicely. Alternatively, you can sift the dry ingredients.
Make a well in the centre, add oil, vanilla essence, yogurt and milk. (See Note 10)
Mix everything with light hands preferably using cut and fold method. Do not beat it vigorously otherwise the batter will develop gluten and the cake will turn out to be chewy.
Keep the batter thick only, ribbon-like consistency.
Lastly, add vinegar and mix it well.
Tap it to release air bubbles if any. Take care that you tap it with some towel or cloth if you are using a glass dish.
Pop it in the microwave for 5 minutes. (See Note 11)
Insert a toothpick in the centre of the cake to check for the doneness of the cake. (See Note 11)
Take the bowl out and let the cake cool completely. (See Note 12)Once completely cool, invert it in a plate.
Spread Chocolate Ganache on the cake.Decorate with silver balls or sprinkles or gems.
Chop chocolate into small pieces and keep it in a glass bowl.
Heat Cream in the microwave for 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds in between. Alternatively, you can heat it on gas stove till it starts bubbling around the edges.
Put warm cream over the chopped chocolate and cover it for a minute.
After a minute, stir it and mix properly. The heat of the cream is enough to melt the chocolate.
Spread it on the cake using a spatula.In case, it gets hard then put it in the microwave for 30 seconds and it will be liquidy again.
- You may use all-purpose flour in place of wheat flour. In that case. all other ingredients will remain the same except the quantity of milk. You will require less milk then.
- Coffee enhances the taste. However, you can skip it if not comfortable using it.
- Take normal granulated sugar. No need to powder it. I have taken white sugar, but better to use brown sugar. Quantity will remain the same.
- Take any oil be it olive oil or groundnut or canola or any other refined oil. You can use melted butter also. I used groundnut oil.
- Take milk at room temperature. Do not use milk straight from the refrigerator.
- If your yogurt is too watery then keep it in a strainer for some time so that extra water drips out.
- Use distilled white vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- I have used a dark chocolate compound. Use that or any chocolate that is easily available.
- Use dairy or non-dairy cream, whichever is easily available.
- Add just 1/2 cup milk in the beginning and then add more if need be. This is because the quantity of milk may vary depending on yogurt consistency and also that different flours have different absorption capacity.
- You may first check after 4 minutes. If the toothpick inserted comes out clean then it means it is done. If not, then bake for 1 more minute. In microwave cooking, cooking continues even after removing from the microwave. Therefore let it cool completely before inverting it. If the cake doesn’t come out easily then there is a possibility that it is not fully baked from the bottom. So, keep it in the microwave again for 30 seconds.
- In microwave cooking, when inverted, sometimes the cake is slightly wet in the centre but nothing to worry as it soon dries up and is not noticeable afterward. Mentioned here just as a precaution for those baking in the microwave for the first time.
- It tastes better when slightly warm. So, heat it little, say for 12 to 15 seconds before serving.
- You can bake the same cake in Otg or on the gas stove also. For Otg, preheat oven to 180 degrees C for 15 minutes then bake the cake for 30 to 35 minutes.