Recently updated on April 7th, 2020
Beautiful in looks, easy to make, homemade jelly or Fruits In Jelly With Agar is a simple and delicious way to eat fruits. It is just another way of eating fruits. And the best part is that is vegetarian as well as vegan.
Sharing here two methods to make this healthy jelly. The first is with fruits and the other is using fruit juice or mocktail syrups. Now, add beauty with taste to your fruit creams or custard with this easy homemade jelly.
Today from alphabet J, in Blog Chatters A2Z Challenge, I am going to share a very easy and healthy recipe. In addition, its a very quick recipe also. Takes just 10 minutes of yours and then the setting time, that’s it.
Related Recipes which you may like to try:
Fruit Jelly Or Homemade Jelly
It’s one of the very interesting ways to feed fruits to your kids. Also, you can pack these in their lunch box also. As fruits like apples, pears, etc get oxidized or soggy in summers and are not very pleasurable to eat, in that situation such jelly fruits are a boon. And if you are wondering whether they would remain set at high temperature also, then let me share with you that Agar sets at room temperature only and once set, remains as it is. So, no fear of losing shape.
Also, you can use the same recipe to make jelly. It gets ready even before your fruit cream or custard gets chilled in the refrigerator.
Important Points About Agar
Before I proceed to the recipe, let me share certain facts about Agar, Though I have already done so in my earlier posts but still a quick recap.
- Agar also known as China grass or kanten or agar agar, is a popular vegetarian alternative to gelatin.
- Gelatin is derived from animal bones whereas Agar is derived from algae and is used to gel many food products, such as puddings, desserts, jelly candy, soups, sauces, and more.
- It comes in three forms, namely, flakes, grass, and powder.
- Agar is stronger than gelatin.
- Unlike gelatin, agar sets beautifully at room temperature also. Since it has a high melting point, therefore, it is first added to a liquid and then brought to a boil to ensure that it is completely dissolved.
- Being plant-based, agar is 80% fibre without any fat or protein. You can read more about agar here.
- Agar is to be used in the correct proportion. If added less, the pudding will not set. If added more then the pudding will be hard. When touched, the pudding should be wobbly.
Take care of the following points while dealing with Agar:
- Mix Agar powder in water at room temperature and then bring it to boil. Boil it for a minute or so to activate it.
- Always add Agar solution to a warm liquid only. Thus if you wish to add agar solution to some fruit juice then first heat the juice, just for 30 to 40 seconds. When the juice gets lukewarm then add agar solution to it. This is very important and do not ignore it.
How To Make Fruits In Jelly Or Homemade Jelly With Agar
There are two methods to use the same agar solution. First is to add it in fruits and the other is to mix in mocktail syrups of your choice.
Now in this recipe, I have made jelly with plain water to which sugar has been added. Also, I made a few with fresh grape juice also. You can take canned fruit juice also of your choice.
For making this dessert, I have taken fruits like apples, grapes, kiwi, pomegranate, etc.
The method is very simple. Put chopped fruits in moulds of your choice. Now, you can take silicon, steel, glass or anything else. I even set in my Appe pan. So, take anything, material is not any issue. Nor you have to grease it. Just put fruits in the mould and cover it with Agar solution. That’s it. Within an hour these will set. Unmould and you are good to go.
The other way is to add mocktail syrup to the warm agar solution as shown below in the detailed recipe.
Detailed Method Of Fruits In Jelly With Agar With Pics
- Chop fruits like apples, kiwi, and pears and grapes, if too big in size. Separate pomegranate pearls.
- Place them in moulds. Fill 1/4 to 1/3 of the mould with these fruits. You can even take a wide dish, say of 4 by 6” and lay fruits in it.
- Mix Agar powder in water and put to boil.
- Boil it for a minute, this activates the agar and is very important to do so.
- Turn off the flame, mix sugar powder in it and wait for 4 to 5 minutes so that the solution turns warm from hot.
- Pour this in the moulds.
- Leave it for an hour or so or till set. If you set in a big container, it may take more time to set. You may keep in the refrigerator but not necessary as it sets at room temperature.
- Unmould. Keep in the refrigerator as they taste good when cold otherwise you can have them as it is also.
Fruits In Jelly With Agar
Beautiful in looks, easy to make, Fruits In Jelly With Agar is a simple and delicious way to eat fruits. It is just another way of eating fruits
- 1 Cup Chopped Fruits Apple, Kiwi, Pomegranate, grapes, pear, etc
- 2 Cups Water
- 1.5 tsp Agar Powder
- 4 Tbsp Sugar Powder
- 3 or 4 Tbsp Mocktail Syrups
Chop fruits like apples, kiwi, and pears and grapes, if too big in size. . Separate pomegranate perals.
Place them in moulds. Fill 1/4 to 1/3 of the mould with these fruits. You can even take a wide dish, say of 4 by 6” and lay fruits in it.
Mix Agar powder in water and put to boil. Add sugar powder also.
Boil it for a minute, this activates the agar and is very important to do so.
Switch off the flame, add sugar powder and stir so that dissolves fully.
Wait for 4 to 5 minutes so that the solution turns warm from hot. Pour this in the moulds.
Leave it for an hour or so or till set. If you set in a big container, it may take more time to set. You may keep in the refrigerator but not necessary as it sets at room temperature.
Unmould. Keep in the refrigerator as they taste good when cold otherwise you can have them as it is also.
Once the hot agar solution turns warm from hot then divide it into 2 or 3 parts.
Mix in mocktail syrups, like I added Orange marmalade, kiwi crush and Strawberry crush.
Leave it to set at kitchen counteronly or in the refrigerator.
Once set, scoop out like balls or just cut and use.
- I used unrefined sugar powder also known as Boora sugar.
- In case, agar solution sets in the pan only (before putting it over fruits) then heat it again. On reheating it will again return to its liquid state.
- You can use fruit juice also. In that case, take half water and half juice. Boil agar in water. Heat juice for 30 seconds or so till gets lukewarm. Now, add hot agar solution to the warm juice. Mix the two and pour over fruits.
I hope you have liked this easy and healthy recipe of Jelly Fruits or Homemade Jelly and you will definitely try it out for your loved ones. I would love to have your views regarding this.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest Twitter Instagram(#samirasrecipediary) too. for latest recipe updates. Thank you!
So, that was alphabet J. Another sweet and cool delight from letter K is waiting for you but see you tomorrow…
You can find all my posts for this challenge under #BlogchatterA2Z