Bursting with the flavours of Oranges, Vegan Orange Blueberry Cake, is perhaps one of my best bakes. It was a trial that was a super-duper hit. I am sure once you try it out you will bake it every time oranges are there. A recipe not to be missed!
Everything is fantastic about this cake except one. What’s that? And that is that you can try this particular recipe only when fresh oranges are in the season. No fresh oranges? Then please do not try this recipe. You will agree with me when you go ahead with the recipe.
Except for the colour, everything is Orangish about this cake. Why so?This is because it is made with wheat flour and brown sugar. And also, that I didn’t add any artificial colour to it.
My other fruit-based cakes/muffins which you may like are:
- Strawberry Muffins
- Apple Carrot Muffins
- Mango Chocolate Cake
- Peach Upside Down Cake
- Banana Walnut Muffins
Easiest Recipe Of Vegan Orange Blueberry Cake
Apart from the taste, this Orange Blueberry Cake recipe also happens to be one of the easiest recipes. I have followed my vegan chocolate muffins recipe for this cake. Simply swapped water with orange juice and chocolate chips with dried blueberries, and of course, vanilla essence got replaced with Orange zest. Rest everything remains the same. And to make it truly healthier, replaced white sugar with brown sugar. Now it sounds too many changes, no?
How To Make Orange Blueberry Cake?
No Essence: It feels so wonderful to have so many varieties of foods and veggies. With such aromatic fruits around us, like oranges, do we need any artificial flavoring? It is for this reason that I avoided vanilla as well as orange essence in this cake. In fact, I decided to try it as a vegan version because I didn’t want to dilute the orange flavor with milk or curd or anything else. And I am happy with what I decided. Actually, this is not the first time I avoided vanilla essence. In fact, I have made Strawberry muffins as well as Rasmalai cake without any vanilla essence.
Fresh Orange Juice: I have used fresh orange juice here. Take care to remove the seeds. If you use canned juice then adjust the quantity of sugar. You will need much less sugar in that case.
Orange Zest: Along with the fresh juice, the most important thing in this cake is orange zest. This is what replaces the essence and gives natural fragrance as well as aroma to the cake.
How To Take Out Orange Zest?
To take orange zest, wash the orange, wipe it and grate it. Grate only the green/yellow skin and not the pith, which is the white part. This is because pith is very bitter in taste and will spoil the taste of your cake.
Also, I have used my bundt pan of 7” for baking this cake. My first bake in my bundt pan. You can use the same or cake tin of any other shape. This recipe is good for a 6″ cake pan, round or rectangular.
Detailed Recipe Of Orange Blueberry Cake With Step By Step Pics
- Grate Orange to get the zest.
- Peel orange segments and separate them.
- Take wheat flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Add brown sugar and whisk well.
- (If using jaggery powder then mix it in the mixie along with orange juice. This is done so that it is dissolved fully.)
- Mix in dried blueberries and peeled and separated orange segments.
- Make a well in the centre and add oil, orange zest and fresh orange juice and lemon juice
- Mix everything using the cut and fold method.
- Keep the consistency of the batter thick only. But if too thick then add little more orange juice. Leave the batter for 10 to 15 minutes. In the meantime do other preparations.
- Start preheating the oven. Preheat it for 15 minutes at 180 degrees C.
- Grease a cake pan. I have used Bundt pan, 7”, here. Arrange certain berries and orange pieces as the base is going to be the top of this cake. If you are using an ordinary cake pan then put these after pouring the batter.
- Put the batter in the greased pan.
- Bake the cake for 40 minutes or till the skewer inserted comes out clean
- Take out the cake tin and wait for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Loosen the sides with a knife and invert it on a wire rack. Let it cool completely before slicing.
- Serve with love, tea optional.
- In place of blueberries, you can use cranberries or tutti fruit or raisins.
2. Orange Chocolate Cake
For making Orange chocolate cake, replace blueberries with choco chips and bake. Once the cake is baked, let it cool down completely. Now drizzle chocolate ganache at different angles. For Ganache, take equal quantities of cream and cooking chocolate. Like 2 tablespoons of each is sufficient for this particular pattern. Arrange orange zest and you are ready to serve it.
Recipe Card Of Orange Blueberry Cake
Vegan Orange Blueberry Cake
Bursting with the aroma of oranges, this is perhaps one of the best recipe of orange cake.
- My 1 Cup measures 240 ml
- 1 Cup (130 g) Wheat Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar Or Jaggery Powder
- 1/4 Cup Orange Segments,peeled and Separated
- 1/3 Cup Blueberries, Dried
- 1/4 Cup Oil
- 1 Cup Orange Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Orange Zest
Take flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl and whisk well.
Add brown sugar and again mix everything nicely with a whisk. If using jaggery powderthen please check Note 9.
Mix in peeled and separated orange segments and dried blueberries. This is done so that they are evenly distributed in the cake and do not sink at the bottom of the cake. Reserve 1 teaspoon of each for laying in the bottom (or top) of the cake.
Make a well in the centre and add oil, orange zest, fresh orange juice and lemon juice.
Mix everything using cut and fold method.
Keep the batter for 10 to 15 minutes. In the meantime, preheat oven for 15 minutes at 180 degrees C.
Grease a bundt pan and arrange orange segments and dried blueberries. if you are using an ordinary cake pan then just grease it and arrange the orange and blueberries on the top after pouring the batter.
Pour the batter in the prepared cake pan.
Bake for 40 minutes or till a skewer inserted comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed a little.
Wait for 5 to 7 minutes. Then loosen the sides with a knife and invert it on a wire rack.
Cut when completely cool.
Serve with love, tea optional.
You can store this at room temperature for 3 to 4 days in winters otherwise in the refrigerator.
- I have used normal wheat flour which is used for making chapatis. You can use all purpose flour too. But in that case, adjust the quantity of orange juice.
- You will need roughly 4 to 5 oranges, depending on the size.
- Fresh orange juice is preferred. But if you use canned juice then adjust the quantity of sugar as it is already sweet. Take care to remove the seeds from the fresh juice.
- Do not add vanilla essence and do not skip orange zest by any chance. This zest gives the real aroma to this cake. While grating orange for the zest, take care that you grate only the green/orange part and not the white part beneath it. This is because the white portion is really bitter and will spoil the taste of your cake. In fact, I would suggest, you taste the zest before adding it to the cake. Add only if taste good, otherwise grate again.
- You need a 6" cake pan for this recipe. I have used a bundt pan. You can use any other shape that you prefer or even make muffins out of it. If using normal cake pan then arrange blueberries and orange segments on the top after pouring the batter. I have done it on the bottom because of bundt pan.
- If baking in microwave convection then it gets preheated much quickly, in around 5 minutes only because of the inbuilt settings. So do not wait for 15 minutes. And start baking as soon as it gives beep (or other indication) that it is preheated.
- You can bake it in pressure cooker also. For baking in the pressure cooker, check the details here.
- You can use chocolate chips in place of dried blueberries.
- If using jaggery powder then mix it in the mixie along with orange juice. This is done so that it is dissolved fully.
I hope you will surely try out this yummy and healthy recipe of Orange Blueberry Cake for your loved ones. Do not forget to share your feedback. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm to post more good content.
Join me on my Facebook Page for the latest updates and recipes
Stay Healthy…Stay Happy