Recently updated on April 2nd, 2018
Green Papaya Salad called Som Tam is of Thai origin but is liked in all parts of the world.
Som Tam is an all season salad.
When chilled, it is very refreshing in summers.
Papaya was called “fruit of the angels” due to its rich taste. These are generally part of all kitchen gardens in hot and tropical climates. The tree is easy to grow and yields fruit around the year. It requires good sunshine, plenty of water and a good soil. With some innovation, you could grow it in the terrace garden too. The fruit is rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. It is known for promoting cardiovascular health, improving digestive health and helps fight cancer.
This 3 ingredient salad is extremely simple to make.
Carrots or Tomatoes or beans are added in very little quantity mainly to give colour to it.
Roasted and Crushed Peanuts lend crunchiness to the Som Tam salad and go perfectly well with it.
As we all know, when it comes to salads, there is no fixed recipe/ingredients and we can play around with the ingredients depending on the availability and our taste of course.
Remember, A Slight Deviation from the Fixed Ingredients gives a Nice Variation.
In this Green Papaya Salad also I have made certain changes.
First of all, instead of long julienne of papaya, I prefer grated one.
Also, I neither add tomatoes nor beans nor garlic to it. I add only grated carrot, that too, in very less quantity, just to give colour to the salad as green papaya is almost white.
As far as Dressing is concerned, again I keep it simple by just adding lemon juice.
All these changes were once suggested by my sister in law, Archana Agarwal only.
Let’s see how to make this simple, 3 ingredient salad…
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: Nil
1 Pc (500 gm approx) Green Papaya (kachcha Papita)
1/2 Pc Carrot
2-3 Cloves of Garlic (Optional)
Few Sprigs Cilantro (hara dhaniya)
1-2 Green Chillies (Optional)
1/4 Cup Peanuts
Salt to taste
Lemon Juice to taste
- Wash Green Papaya, pat dry it with a kitchen towel. Peel and Grate.
- Put this grated Green Papaya in ice cold water, to which little salt and sugar have been added, for 15 minutes. This is done to remove the slight bitterness in the taste of green papaya. Use 1/2 tsp each of salt and sugar for this much quantity of green papaya.
- While the Green Papaya is resting in cold water, you do the remaining work.
- Grate carrots, crush garlic and finely chop cilantro.
- Also, roast peanuts, in the oven or on a gas stove. Once cooled, crush them with a rolling pin or in mortar and pestle.
- Now, squeeze out the green papaya from the water and keep it in a big bowl.
- Add grated carrot, crushed garlic, chopped cilantro.
- Season it with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Toss nicely.
- Cover with Clingfilm and chill in the refrigerator.
- At the time of serving, mix roasted and crushed peanuts.
- Serve with love.
- If you want to cut julienne of Green Papaya, then cut carrot also that way.
- You can keep the Green Papaya in cold water even longer, till you are ready with other things.
- Add peanuts at the time of serving so that it retains its crunchiness.
Stay fit… Stay Healthy
Would love to hear your comments and feedback.
If you like this recipe, do join me on my Facebook page.