Shakargandi Ka Halwa is the simplest, quickest and yummiest halwa. Perfect to have during fasts because of it being rich in carbohydrates.
Shakargandi or say sweet potato is very much a root vegetable and belongs to the family of potatoes only. Shakargandi Ka Halwa is exactly like Potato halwa. You can make either of the two. But still, I find Shakargandi one better as it has its own sweetness and taste. After all, no wonder its called ‘sweet potato’!
Shakargandi Ka Halwa is one of my favourite sweet dishes. Of all the varities of Halwa we make, Shakargandi, semolina and wheat halwa are my preferred ones. I love Shakargandi halwa for a variety of reasons. I will tell you all of them but in the meantime, you tell me, what’s your take on this?
Related Recipes You may like are:
Memory Lane With Shakargandi Ka Halwa
My father in law was a great foodie and loved spicy food. Shakargandi Chat was one of his favourite chat. Whenever he bought Shakargandi, he instructed me to make some chat for him and use the rest for my halwa.
Boil Or Roast Shakargandi?
You can either boil these or roast. But roasted ones are always preferred as they retain the natural sweetness in it. You can roast these in an oven or in an air fryer.
I prefer to roast these in my air fryer as these are done quickly in it.
How To Roast Shakargandi In Air Fryer
- Airfryer is the best thing to get perfect roasted Shakargandi. It is the simplest way too.
- Just wash the Shakargandi and put it in the air fryer basket. No need to preheat it.
- Now, switch it on to the 200 degrees C and set it for 30 minutes. That’s it!
- Do, whatever you wish to during this time. After 30 minutes, you will have perfect roasted Shakargandi, exactly like you get from the roadside vendor. you may check by inserting a knife in anyone Shakargandi. If it slides easily this means that its done. If not, continue roasting in the air fryer for some more time.
Why Shakargandi Halwa Is Preferred During Fasts
Shakargandi ka halwa is a popular fasting recipe. Be it Navratri, Ekadashi or any other fast, this halwa is preferred by everyone. As it is full of carbohydrates, it gives instant energy while fasting. I remember, my grandmother used to have either this or potato halwa for her Ekadashi fasts.
Let’s see the benefits of Shakargandi Ka Halwa
- Quick to Make: It takes just 6 to 8 minutes to prepare this halwa.
- Less Fat: The quantity of ghee used is really less as compared to other types of Halwa.
- Less Sugar: As Shakargandi, itself is sweet therefore very less sugar is needed to make this halwa.
- Instant Energy: Being full of carbohydrates, it gives instant energy.
Step By Step Pics Of Shakargandi Ka Halwa
- Boil or Roast Shakargandi.
- Peel boiled/roasted Shakargandi and cut into pieces.
- In a wok, heat ghee, swirl it so that sides of the wok gets coated with it.
- Add chopped Shakargandi, mash it with the ladle or potato masher and saute it for 2 to 3 minutes on medium-high flame, tossing regularly.
- Add milk & sugar and continue tossing till milk dries up and halwa leaves sides of the wok.
- Lastly, add nuts. (Though I prefer plain only).
- Serve with love.
Shakargandi Ka Halwa
A quick dessert especially for fasting days.
- 250 g Shakargandii Boiled Or Roasted
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- Nuts as per Taste Optional
Peel boiled/roasted Shakargandi and chop it roughly.
In a wok, heat ghee, swirl it so that sides of the wok gets coated with it.
Add choppedShakargandi, mash it with ladle or potato masher and saute it for 2 to 3 minutes on a medium-high flame, tossing regularly.
Add milk & sugar.
Continue tossing for 2 to 3 minutes till all the milk dries up and halwa leave sides of the wok.
Add nuts. (Though I prefer plain only).
Serve with love.
- This much ghee is sufficient but you add more depending upon your preferences.
- Sugar may vary depending on the sweetness of Shakargandi.
Please do take out little time to comment below in the comments section as your feedback fuels my enthusiasm to post more good content. And if you like it then do share it with your dear ones also on your favourite social media sites.
If you wish to stay updated with the latest recipes then follow me on my Facebook page.
Stay Fit… Stay Healthy… But most importantly, Stay Happy…