Recently updated on August 21st, 2020
Dilbahar Shahi Tukda is a delectable sweet made especially for children. And this is also my 4th day’s entry in the #BlogChattersA2ZChallenge.Jump to Recipe
Shahi Tukda, meaning Royal Piece, is a famous traditional sweet having its roots in Mughlai cuisine. Its a popular sweet dish especially in the month of Ramadan and on Id.
Traditionally, deep fried bread pieces are soaked in milk and then topped with thickened milk and lots of nuts. A very rich dish in itself as per its name.
Such a common recipe, made in almost all the families then why am I posting it? This is because…no, no, no. I will not disclose it here. First go through it and then let me know whether what I am saying, appeals to you or not.
My husband loves Shahi Tukda but both my sons do not have much liking for milk based sweets. So, therefore thought of making it with a twist. Lets see what that twist is.
With times we have made changes in our eating habits too and thus this healthy version of Shahi Tukda with a twist. Bread, when fried absorbs lot of oil. Therefore, instead of deep frying the bread, I have air-fried it. Thus, no excess oil in it.
Not only it is a healthy version but also altered to suit the taste buds of kids. Instead of regular nuts, rose essence, etc I have made it in chocolate flavour.
So, doesn’t it sounds interesting? And lastly, I have cut it in heart shape making it more attractive to kids. You can use cookie cutters in various shapes and cut accordingly.
Thus, it varies in many ways from the usual Shahi Tukda:
- No Triangle Shape but attractive heart shape.
- Not Deep Fried but Air fried/Toasted.
- No Sugar Syrup but Jaggery Syrup.
- No Thickened Milk/Condensed Milk but custard sauce.
- No Dry fruits but colorful sprinkles.
So, how do you like the twist?
Now, let’s see the recipe of Dilbahar Shahi Tukda With a Twist.
But before that just a minute… let’s talk about social media. If you like this recipe then do join me on my Facebook page to know about my latest recipes. Also, you can Pin it for later if not willing to try later on. And last but not the least, if you try it out then share your feedback through comments or on Instagram by using hashtag #samirasrecipediary. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm to post more good content.
Your one comment can make my day so please be generous with your comments.
Related Recipes which you may like are:
Detailed Recipe Of Dilbahar Shahi Tukda With A Twist With Step By Step Pics
- Cut bread in various shapes using a cookie cutter. I used heart shape.
- Brush clarified butter on both sides.
- Toast in airfryer at 180 degrees for 5 minutes or till golden brown.
- Heat jaggery with water and boil it for 2 or 3 minutes till thickens slightly.
- Let it cool down slightly. Now, dip toasted bread hearts in this syrup and arrange in a platter.
- Make Custard sauce. Dissolve custard powder in 2 tbsp milk. Ensure that there are no lumps.
- Heat rest of the milk with jaggery powder. When jaggery dissolves and milk is heated well, add the dissolved custard powder and vanilla essence.
- Cook the custard for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring continuously, till it gets slightly thick.
- Pour this custard over the bread hearts.
- Drizzle chocolate sauce and sprinkle sugar sprinkles. To check the recipe of chocolate sauce, click here. You may use Strawberry sauce too.
Serve with love.
Dilbahar Shahi Tukda With A Healthy Twist
Shahi Tukda, the famous Indian sweet, is made with a healthy twist and in different flavour to suit the taste buds of kids.
- 6 Piece Brown Bread
- 2 Tbsp Clarified Butter (Ghee)
- 1/4 Cup Jaggery Powder
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Milk
- 2 Tbsp Custard Powder (Vanilla Flavoured)
- 2 Tbsp Jaggery Powder
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 Cup Chocolate Sauce (Store bought or Homemade)
- 2 or 3 Tbsp Sugar Sprinkles
Cut bread in various shapes using cookie cutter. I used heart shape.
Brush clarified butter on both sides.
Toast in airfryer at 180 degrees for 5 minutes or till golden brown.
Make Jaggery Syrup
Heat jaggery with water and boil it for 2 or 3 minutes till thickens slightly.
Dissolve custard powder in 2 tbsp milk.
Heat rest of the milk with jaggery powder. When jaggery dissolves and milk is heated well, add the custard powder mix.
Cook the custard for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring continuously, till it gets slightly thick.
Let it cool down slightly. Now, dip toasted bread hearts in this syrup and arrange in the serving plate.
Spoon little more jaggery syrup on the toasted bread once laid in the serving plate.
Pour custard sauce over these bread hearts.
Drizzle chocolate sauce and sprinkle sugar sprinkles.
Chill in the refrigerator for an hour or two.
Serve with love, additional custard sauce and chocolate sauce optional.
Instead of air frying, you can deep fry the bread hearts or toast them in otg/toaster.
Leftover trimmings of bread can be used for making bread crumbs or bread upma.
Hope you will surely try out this easy, yummy and healthy recipe for your darlings. Please, please, please…do not forget to share your feedback.
You can find all my posts for this Challenge under BlogchattersA2ZChallenge2019
So, that was alphabet D. Any guesses for tomorrow, from E? Clue? Ok, not only its kids favourite but also related to a festival. And it’s a sweet again, a Yummilicious Pudding but in a different avatar.
Stay Fit… Stay Healthy… But most importantly, Stay Happy…