Roti Upma is a very healthy, simple and quick snack made with leftover or fresh chapatis. It is also good for feeding children who are not interested in having normal chapatis.
As I read somewhere…
It’s not leftovers that are wasteful, but those who either don’t know what to do with them or can’t be bothered..…By Julian Baggini
And since we know what to do with leftover chapatis and are also very much concerned about it, today we are making Roti Upma.
Leftover Roti Upma
You may not make any extra chapati but still, no matter how much you are careful, it’s common to have one or two (or maybe more) chapatis left in your casserole. If not in the casserole then quite possible that your little one (or the Big Boss :)) brings back his/her lunch box unopened as he/she got a treat in the school (office) and didn’t feel like having his/her food.
Whatever may be the reason but if you are left with unused chapatis then what to do?
As I mentioned earlier, Roti Noodles is favourite of all in my house. You give them roti noodles and they are more than happy.
But a few days back, I tried Roti Upma using Roti crumbs and these were also a hit.
For Roti Noodles, you need at least 5 to 6 chapatis but Roti upma can be made with just two chapatis also.
While chapatis are served in the main course, Roti Upma and Roti Noodles both are wonderful evening snacks.
Roti upma is a very healthy snack as it has only chapatis and loads of veggies. Also, it gets ready in just 10 to 15 minutes (provided you have leftover chapatis).
Also, it is also good for feeding children who are not interested in having normal chapatis. Other than this, it is excellent to have if one is having teething problem. In such cases, you can make this with fresh chapati also.
Roti Upma is a very simple and quick recipe. Roti crumbs are made in just a few seconds in the mixer grinder. Similarly, I use my food processor for chopping veggies for two reasons. Firstly, they are chopped in just 20 to 30 seconds and secondly because they are chopped very finely, apt for Roti Upma.
You can use whatever veggies you have for making this Roti Upma. If nothing much then you can make it with just onion and tomatoes also. However, I used carrot, cabbage, capsicum and onions. I usually have these veggies in my refrigerator as I also use them for making Coleslaw sandwiches, Papdi pizza, Bread Pizza without Cheese and utthapam.
You can make Roti Upma with chapati or Paratha or Poori, any form of chapati.
So now let’s have a quick look at the quick recipe of Roti Upma…
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- Serves: 1
- 2 Chapatis, Leftover or Fresh
- 1 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Veggies (Carrots, capsicum, cabbage, onion, etc)
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Ketchup or Pizza Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Soya Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Chilli Flakes
- Wash veggies, peel them and chop finely, better done in a food processor.
- Heat oil in a pan, saute chopped veggies for a minute or so. In the meantime, prepare roti crumbs.
- Tear chapatis, leftover or fresh and grind it in the grinder.
- Add roti crumbs in the sauteed veggies.
- Toss nicely. If your chapatis have salt then no need to add salt otherwise add very little salt.
- Add tomato ketchup, soya sauce,oregano and chilli flakes
- . Mix nicely and serve with love.
- Adjust the quantity and variety of veggies as per your liking and availability in the house.
- Be very careful with salt. If there is salt in your chapatis then don’t add any more salt as tomato ketchup as well soya sauce has salt.
Some Pics to show the procedure of making Roti Upma…
- Heat oil in a pan, saute chopped veggies.
- Tear Chapatis and grind to crumbs in the grinder.
- Add roti crumbs to sauteed veggies.
- Toss. add tomato ketchup, soya sauce, oregano and chilli flakes.
- Mix nicely and serve with love.
I am very sure that next time whenever you will be left with one or two chapatis you will definitely try this out. Right? And when you try and feel nice of using leftover chapati in a delicious way then don’t forget to share it with us:)
I hope you have liked this recipe for making Roti Upma and will surely try it out for your loved ones.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest Twitter Instagram(#samirasrecipediary) too. for latest recipe updates. Thank you!
Stay Fit… Stay Happy
And now, time for…
“FOOD FOR SOUL”
Greet Each New Day With A Heart Full Of SMILES