Purple lemonade or Jamun Shikanji is an easy lemonade made with Jamun (Black Plum) that too without using any sugar.
Also, sharing an easy method to deseed Jamun which is otherwise considered a difficult task.
Its colour may resemble that of FALSA SHERBET but the taste is totally different.
You may PIN Jamun Shikanji to try later…
Other Related recipes You may like:
Purple Lemonade Or Jamun Shikanji
Hello every one, here’s a glass of refreshing Purple lemonade for you all. So, what do you like the most in it? Its lovely purple lavender colour? It’s taste? Or its nutritional benefits? If you ask me, then, of course, all three.
And one more thing which is not seen here and that is that this lip-smacking lemonade is sugar-free. Yes! absolutely without any sugar.
After all, Jamun or say Black plum is best known as a wonder fruit for diabetics then why add sugar to it?
Well, if you are making it as a mocktail for non-diabetics then, of course, you can add little sugar.
My husband loves Jamun. In this season, he has to eat these and being a diabetic, he says, that eating Jamun gives him an instant feeling of betterment.
Summer And Fruits
In summers with variety of fruits around, it gives immense opportunities to go for varied interesting cocktails using natural fruits only. Be it AAM PANNA or BAEL KA SHERBET or LEMON MINT LASSI or RAW MANGO JALJEERA just keep on rotating these and you are sure to remain hydrated with an array of flavours.
Sugar-free Jamun Shikanji
The other highlight of my recipe of Jamun Shikanji is that it has been made without any sugar. Instead, I added Stevia to it. I added Stevia but you can add Boora sugar (powdered cane sugar) or brown sugar too. Whatever sweetener you add, it is just added in very little quantity as the main flavour comes from Roc salt (kale namak) and of course of Jamun.
Jamun & Its Seeds
Eating Jamun is fine. I thought of trying out Jamun recipes but the thought of deseeding it kept me at bay from it. Then just yesterday, I came across a post where Hem Lata Srivastava had given a method to deseed Jamun in her blog marigoldhemlata.com. When I read it, I was apprehensive whether it would work or not? But why give up or condemn without even trying?
So, I gave it a try with just 5-6 Jamun. And voila! I was on top of the sky. Jamun got deseeded so easily in less than a minute. Thank you so much…I am glad that I came across your post.
How To Deseed Jamun?
So, what’s that super easy method? For this. you need a container with a lid. Take any, plastic or glass or steel. And then 3 simple steps…
- Keep the washed and dried Jamun in a container.
- Close the lid.
- and then Shake…shake…shake…
- And you will be surprised, how easily Jamun pulp and seeds get separated. Yes, it works 100%
Now, before we proceed any further, let’s look at the benefits of this purple beauty.
Benefits Of Jamun
- Rich in Protein, Fibre, Antioxidants, Calcium, Vitamin C, Iron, Potassium and Manganese.
- Good for Weight Watchers: As it is low in calories.
- Boon For Diabetics: It has Oleanolic acid which has anti-diabetic properties and its low glycemic index, makes it perfect for diabetics.
- Extract of Jamun bark and seeds works as a medicine for diabetics. This is because, its seeds have Jamboline, which prevents the starch from turning into sugar.
- Natural Blood Purifier
- Good For Anameics: As it is rich in iron.
- Aids Digestion: It cures problems like diarrhoea, indigestion, gastric troubles, dysentery, etc.
- Good for Gums & Teeth: As it is rich in Vitamin C.
Read about the benefits of Jamun in more detail here.
Step By Step Pics of Purple Lemonade Or Jamun Shikanji
- Wash and pat dry Jamun.
- Deseed Jamun. For this, take Jamun in a container with a lid. Close the lid and shake it for 2 to 3 minutes. Jamun pulp will be separated from its seeds.
- Add water. Remove the seeds. By adding water, it will be easy to remove the seeds.
- Put the pulp with water in the blender and blend it for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Jamun Shikanji or Purple lemonade is ready. Add more water, if too thick. No need to strain it.
- Add rock salt, lemon juice, stevia, chat masala and ice cubes.
- Serve Purple Lemonade or Jamun Shikanji with love, snacks optional.
Recipe Card Of Purple Lemonade| Jamun Shikanji
Purple Lemonade/Jamun Shikanji
Purple Lemonade made with Jamun is super easy to make if they can be deseeded easily. Along with the recipe, sharing an easy method to deseed Jamun.
- 150 g Jamun
- 250 ml Water
- 1/8 tsp Rock Salt
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Few drops Stevia
- 1/4 tsp Chat Masala (Optional)
Wash and pat dry Jamun.
Deseed Jamun. For this, take Jamun in a container with a lid. Close the lid and shake it for 2 to 3 minutes. Jamun pulp will be separated from its seeds.
Add water. Remove the seeds. By adding water, it will be easy to remove the seeds.
Put the pulp with water in the blender and blend it for 20 to 30 seconds.
Jamun Shikanji or Purple lemonade is ready. Add more water, if too thick. No need to strain it.
Add rock salt, lemon juice, stevia, chat masala and ice cubes.
Serve Purple Lemonade or Jamun Shikanji with love, snacks optional.
- Take a deep container, so that when you shake the container, Jamun get enough pressure to get separated from the seeds.
- Shake the jar vertically and not horizontally.
- You can use sweetener of your choice, be it sugar or any other.
- Add very little salt,
- Add salt at the time of serving only.
- Avoid plastic container for shaking as it may get stained. Glass container is the best to use.
- You can also use a steel glass for shaking. Cover it with a plate or bowl and you are set to shake Jamun in it.
Hope you have found this post useful and have liked the recipe of Purple Lemonade/Jamun Shikanji. If yes, then hurry up, Jamun are there for a very limited period of time. Don’t miss this chance.
If you like this recipe then do join me on my Facebook page to know about my latest recipes. Do share your feedback as it fuels my enthusiasm to post more good content.
Stay Fit… Stay Healthy… But most importantly, Stay Happy…