Recently updated on November 17th, 2020Jump to Recipe
How to make instant mawa shows you how to make it quickly on a gas stove or in the microwave easily. Both the methods are shown in detail with step by step pics.
How To Make Instant Mawa (Khoya)? You must be wondering what am I talking about? Making khoya is such a lengthy process then how can it be instant. Don’t believe me? Then just read this post.
I just loved making this instant mawa/khoya. This is exactly like the store-bought one. The colour, texture, aroma, everything is the same. You can use it exactly like you use the readymade one. Crumble it, grate it or cook it. It’s just fantastic!
I have made my life easier by making this instant Mawa or say Khoya. Actually, as you all know Mawa is the base of most Indian sweets. Though I do not make many traditional sweets but whatever little I do, Mawa is required. So, fetching little quantity of Mawa from the market used to be a task for me. Also, the shopkeeper would not give less than a specified quantity. But now, I am my own master. I make Mawa in whatever quantity I require and that too in less than 10 minutes.
What Is Mawa? How Is It Made?
Mawa is also known as Khoya. A large number of Indian sweets are made using this magical ingredient only. Mawa simply means milk reduced to a solid form from which all the water has been removed. Now obviously, water is removed by heating milk so that all the water gets evaporated.
Traditionally, mawa is made by simmering the milk for an hour or so (depending upon its quantity) after which all the liquid in it gets evaporated and we are left with milk solids which is called Mawa or Khoya. But in today’s jet age who has so much of time and patience?
And that is where Instant Mawa comes to our rescue!
How To Make Instant Mawa?
Instant Mawa is made using milk powder. This is because milk powder, as the name says itself, is dehydrated milk only. That is when all the moisture is removed from milk, we get milk powder. So, isn’t milk powder the same as khoya?
But to transform milk powder into Mawa, little milk or water is added to it and that’s it!
And I go a step further by cooking it for a few minutes. Cooking this mix ensures that the rawness of the milk powder goes away completely.
I strongly recommend cooking this mixture for a few minutes. I have tried both, that is without cooking and with cooking and there is a sea change in the taste.
Instant Mawa in Microwave Oven
After trying it out in Kadhai, I tried it in the microwave and the results were superb. The recipe remained the same just the mode of cooking changed. It took me just 2 and a half minutes as compared to 7 minutes in kadhai.
My Experiment And Outcome
Once again, I am going to share what exactly happened at my place when I made this instant mawa/khoya. As you all know, my hubby and sons are my guinea pigs for all my recipes as they are big foodies.
So, when I made this instant mawa, then without telling that it is homemade, I asked my hubby to taste it saying that I doubted if it was good. He tasted it and confirmed that it was good. And then I disclosed that it was actually homemade. He looked at me in disbelief and was amazed!
Benefits Of Instant Mawa
I find instant mawa extremely useful. Why? See below and vouch for yourself :
- One can make fresh as and when required.
- No hassle of going to the market to get it and then consuming it within a few days only.
- You can make it in very little quantity also, as less as 50g also.
- You are assured of the quality. No fear of adulteration.
Storing Homemade Instant Mawa
You can store this instant Mawa in an airtight container in the refrigerator for upto a week.
Step By Step Instructions To Make Instant Mawa
On Gas Stove
- Take milk powder in a nonstick pan (kadhai). Add ghee.
- Add water, stirring continuously from the other hand and make a smooth paste.
- Now, switch on the flame and cook it for 5 to 7 minutes till the mix leaves sides of the wok and gathers into a ball.
- Take out the Mawa ball and let it cool down a bit.
- When it gets warm then knead it for a minute or so. Your homemade instant Mawa is ready.
- Keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
In Microwave Oven
- Take milk powder, ghee in a microwave-safe bowl and make a smooth batter using water.
- Take a big bowl as the mixture foams up a lot in the microwave.
- Cook it in the microwave for 2 and a half minutes, stirring after every 30 seconds till it thickens and forms a ball, let it cool down a bit.
- When the dough is comfortable to touch then knead it for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Homemade instant mawa is ready.
Recipe Card Of How To make Instant Mawa (Khoya)
How To make Instant Mawa (Khoya)
Now make fresh mawa in a jiffy for your sweets.
- 1/2 Cup (50 g) Milk Powder
- 1/4 Cup (50 ml) Water
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
Take milk powder and ghee in a wok.
Make a smooth paste, without any lumps, by adding water.
Switch on the flame and cook it for 4 to 5 minutes till tme mixture leaves sides and gather into a ball.
Take out the Mawa and let it cool down a little.
Knead it for 30 seconds or so.
Use it or keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator
In Microwave oven
Take milk powder, ghee in a microwave-safe bowl and make a smooth batter using water. Take a big bowl as the mixture foams up a lot in the microwave.
Cook it in the microwave for 2 and a half minutes, stirring after every 30 seconds. Cook till it thickens and forms a ball, let it cool down a bit.
When the dough is comfortable to touch then knead it for 20 to 30 seconds. Homemade instant mawa is ready.
- You can replace water with milk.
- Keep stirring it continuously to avoid scorching from the bottom.
- The recipe can be scaled as per your requirements.
- Kneading gives shine to Mawa and keeps it soft too.
I hope you have liked this recipe of Instant Mawa and will surely give it a try.
Stay tuned for various recipes of sweets made using this homemade instant mawa (khoya).
If you like this recipe then do not forget to share your feedback in the comments below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm to post more good content.
Stay Fit… Stay Healthy…