How To Make Eggless Chocolate Muffins Without Oven is an ultimate guide for beginners. This gives you easy and steps by step instructions to make yummy and healthy chocolate muffins.
Baking muffins without oven is the same as baking a cake without an oven. I have already shared how to bake a basic sponge cake in a pressure cooker. The method is the same with slight variations. Also, I have come up with this recipe with very little quantity of flour, just 1/2 cup so as to make it super easy for the beginners.
This easy recipe is ought to be tried by everyone as you can bake muffins without an oven and without a muffins tray! So, no excuse will work here as all you need is a willingness to bake along with a gas stove and a pressure cooker or kadhai. And as you are reading this, it itself shows that the willingness is there.
- Banana Walnut Muffins
- Breakfast Muffins
- Basic Sponge Cake In Pressure Cooker
- Multigrain Crackers Without Oven (In Kadhai)
How To Make Eggless Chocolate Muffins Without Oven?
You think of baking and oven comes to your mind. It is believed that baking can’t be done without an oven. Do you also believe the same?
Remember there was a time when gas tandoors were very popular and people used to bake cakes and cookies in it beautifully? Now, you may say that you don’t have a gas tandoor either. Right? Nor do I have it. But we can recreate that magic once again. But we will create that magic in our pressure cooker or even a kadhai.
You will be surprised with the results as there is hardly any difference between the ones baked in an oven and those baked without the oven (on a gas stove). The same batter can be used in both the mediums, that is, in the oven or without oven. Here, I baked 8 muffins in convection mode in microwave and 4 in the cooker on the gas stove. Both took the same time and looked almost alike, texture as well smoothness was also the same. In the pic below, three muffins on the left side are baked in oven whereas the centre one and the three on the right side are baked on the gas stove. I have already shared the oven method in my earlier post and you can check that by clicking here.
Chocolate Muffins Recipe For Beginners
- I am sharing this recipe especially for beginners and have therefore used very little flour, just 1/2 cup here.
- The recipe uses very few ingredients which are usually there in every kitchen.
- Also, I have used 3 types of moulds here just to convince you that these can be baked in anything, If you have proper moulds with you then fine otherwise go ahead with steel bowl (katori) in your kitchen or ordinary paper cups.
Why Bake Muffins At Home?
Before we move on to as to how to make muffins with or without oven you must be wondering why bake these at home when these are easily available in a bakery nearby? Of course, you can buy these easily but what if I say you can make your own which will be easier, quicker and healthier than that? When you make these in your kitchen you know exactly what is going into it and can easily adjust the ingredients as per your taste buds and preferences too. You can make muffins with all the healthy ingredients, avoiding refined flour as well as sugar. Also, you can make fresh muffins every second or third day.
Steps To Bake Muffins Without Oven
Take a Cooker, preferably an old one.
Remove the gasket (rubber ring in the lid)
Keep the whistle on the lid
Lay salt in the cooker
Keep a stand or steel Katori on the salt.
Preheat the cooker after placing the lid.
Once preheated, keep the muffin moulds and bake.
How To Bake Muffins In Cooker/Kadhai
- Remove Gasket: While using a pressure cooker for baking, always remove its gasket (the rubber ring in the lid). To create an oven-like environment, we use the whistle so that steam does not escape, but this whistle doesn’t blow. So basically, it remains just like a pan with a lid. You can also use either a wok (kadhai) or Dhokla maker or any big pan with a lid or a plate that covers the wok fully.
- If baking in a wok (kadhai), ensure that it is a heavy-bottomed one.
- Salt: Then, we lay an even bed of salt in the pressure cooker/wok. We use salt for 2 reasons:(1)Salt maintains the temperature inside the pan and allows for even distribution of heat. (2) Secondly, without salt/sand, there are chances of spoiling the utensil so it is better to lay salt. You can use the same salt multiple times. Like this same salt, I am using it for the nth time.
- Keep a stand on salt: I always keep a stand on the bed of sand/salt before placing my baking pan in the cooker/wok. This is done to provide insulation between the direct flame and the baking pan. If put directly in the cooker/wok without stand then the bottom of the cake will get baked quickly leaving the upper portion undone. So, always keep a stand first. Instead of stand you can also keep any steel bowl or keep your cooker/wok on a griddle.
- The number of muffins: When baking in pressure cooker there is a limitation as to the number of moulds that can be used at a time. So, check first how many muffins can be made at a time. For this, keep the stand, empty muffin moulds/steel bowls/paper cups and close the lid.
- Preheating: Next is preheating. Yes.. just like preheating an oven, you need to preheat your cooker/wok as well. For this, lay a bed of salt then keep the stand and close the lid of the cooker/wok. Preheat it like this for 10 to 15 minutes on medium flame.
- After placing the muffin moulds in the cooker/wok, close the lid and bake on low flame It will take around 20 to 25 minutes. Do not remove the lid and try to check your cake in the first 10 minutes of baking.
- If possible, use an old cooker/wok for baking purposes. If you don’t have then bake in your day to day cooker only but restrict its usage to once or twice in a month. This is because excessive heat weakens the metal. It is better to use an aluminum cooker as aluminum is a good conductor of heat. However, I used my steel cooker only as I rarely bake on a stovetop.
- Standard Temperature: Last but not the least, when you bake on the stovetop then there is only one temperature and that too without any degree Celsius or Fahrenheit. So, do not confuse yourself. The recipe may mention any temperature but you bake it on sim gas only. However, if using an Otg or microwave convection then, of course, follow the temperature mentioned.
- The method remains the same for any other recipe too.
Step By Step Instructions To Make Muffins Without Oven
- In a big bowl, take all the dry ingredients—- flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, coffee powder and brown sugar and whisk everything with a fork.
- Make a well in the centre by putting all the dry mix towards the wall of the bowl.
- In the well, put wet ingredients—- oil, vanilla extract, water and vinegar.
- Mix everything with light hands.
- It should be of flowing consistency. Add little more water, if required but do not make it very thin.
- Let the batter sit for 10-15 minutes. (see Note 9).
- While the batter is resting, do the following preparations.
- Depending on the size, put 1/2 cup to 1 cup river salt in your pressure cooker.
- Put a stand on the salt. I have used a simple steel bowl to give you an idea.
- Since muffins moulds cant be kept on this bowl, therefore keep a plate on the stand/bowl where muffins moulds can be kept.
- Close the lid by removing its gasket (rubber ring). However, keep the weight (whistle) in its place.
- Preheat it on the medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Grease the aluminium and steel moulds or use muffin liners. No need to grease the paper cups.
- Pour this batter into muffin liners/paper cups filling each up to 3/4th. I have used variety of moulds to give you an idea.
- Tap each mould 2-3 times to release air bubbles, if any.
- Holding from a tong, keep these moulds in cooker/wok on sand/salt. This is because pressure cooker is really hot at this time and it’s not possible to keep with hands.
- Close the lid and bake on medium-high flame for 1 min Now reduce the flame to low and continue baking for 20 minutes approx.
- Insert a toothpick and check for doneness.
- Cool these on a wire rack. (See Note 12)
- Decorate these with chocolate sauce or gems or silver balls etc.
- Serve with love, milk optional.
- Store in an airtight container, up to 2-3 days at room temperature thereafter in the refrigerator.
- You can even freeze these for up to 3 months.
- You can bake these muffins in the oven, convection microwave or in air fryer too.
Recipe Card Of How To Make Eggless Chocolate Muffins Without Oven?
My 1 Cup= 240 ml
- 1/2 Cup (65g) Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1/8 tsp Coffee Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/4 Cup Plus 2 Tbsp Water At Room Temperature
- 1/2 tsp Distilled White Vinegar
Take all the dry ingredients---- flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, coffee powder, and sugar in a big bowl and whisk properly with a fork, so that everything is mixed properly.
Make a well in the centre by putting all the dry mix towards the wall of the bowl.
In this well, put all the wet ingredients---- oil, vanilla essence, water, and vinegar.
Using a spatula mix everything with light hands.
The batter should be of flowing consistency. Add a little more water, if required. But do not make it very thin.
Let the batter sit for 10-15 minutes. (see Note 9).
While the batter is resting, start preheating the pressure cooker. Remember to remove the gasket. Do not remove the whistle.
Depending on the size, put 1/2 cup to 1 cup salt in your cooker. Keep a stand or steel bowl on it.
Preheat it on the medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes.
Arrange muffin liners in aluminium muffins moulds.
Pour this batter into muffin liners filling each up to 3/4th.
Tap each mould 2-3 times to release air bubbles, if any.
Keep these moulds on the stand in the cooker.
Close the cooker and bake on medium-high flame for 1 min.
Now reduce the flame to low and continue baking for 20 minutes approx.
Insert a toothpick and check for doneness.
Take out the moulds and let it cool on wire rack.
Decorate these with chocolate sauce or gems or silver balls etc.
Store in an airtight container, up to 2-3 days at room temperature thereafter in the refrigerator.
Serve with love, juice optional.
- Please use standard measuring cups and spoons available for baking purposes. Don't use cups in your kitchen as they are of varied sizes. 1 Tbsp = 15 gms 1 Tsp = 5 gms.
- If brown sugar is not available, use normal white sugar.
- Any cooking oil can be used, be it olive or refined or any other. Please avoid oils with strong pungent smells.
- The quantity of water may vary slightly depending on the absorption capacity of flour. Therefore, start by adding 1/4th cup water and increase gradually.
- Instead of distilled white vinegar, you can also use apple cider vinegar.
- No need to grease paper cups. Simply pour the batter and bake.
- Salt is added to enhance the flavour of sugar, so go ahead without any doubt.
- Start preheating cooker after filling the muffins moulds. This resting time helps in giving a smooth texture.
- Please check the number of muffins moulds that can fit in your cooker/and work accordingly.
- Ensure that these are properly baked, otherwise, the top will become sticky after cooling.
- Always let them cool on wire rack otherwise the bottom gets soggy which in turn will make the top sticky.
Use any salt for laying inside the cooker/wok. You can also use river sand instead of salt.
- The same salt can be used multiple number of times.
- You can bake in kadhai too. Just ensure that it is a heavy bottomed one and cover it with a plate that fits onto it.
So, how do you feel now? Isn’t it easy to make chocolate muffins without oven too? Now, please leave all your inhibitions and reservations and head over to your kitchen to bake some healthy and delicious chocolate muffins for your darlings. All these things are already in your kitchen. Right?
Please do take out little time to comment below in the comments section as your feedback fuels my enthusiasm to post more good content. And if you like it then do share it with your dear ones also on your favourite social media sites. If you wish to stay updated with the latest recipes then follow me on my Facebook page.