Make French fries, the healthy way in the air fryer. Perfect taste and crispy as if deep-fried only. No soaking, no cornflour. Just chop and air fry.
French fries! Tastes so good. But fried? How nice it would have been if they were not fried? I think we all wish the same and yearn to have french fries, the healthy way.
If you were avoiding French fries because they were deep-fried and are full of calories then this post is for you. If you were avoiding French fries as it involved a very lengthy process of soaking, frying and refrying then this post is for you.
Check my other Air fryer recipes here.
The Love For French Fries
French Fries… You name it and everybody wants to have it. Right from kiddos to elderlies everyone loves these potato fries. I have yet to meet a person who doesn’t like french fries. It is one dish where you can’t stop having little. Once you start having it you want more n more. But still, you force yourself to restrict eating it. The reason? of course oil.
Though an all-time favourite but it is true that it tops the list of junk food. Once fried they absorb a lot of oil and are thus unhealthy. Definitely, you don’t want to eat this calorie-rich food and thus you give up eating it.
Why I Avoided Making French Fries?
Apart from the fact that the French fries are fried, earlier I didn’t like to make these as making fries is a lengthy process by soaking the cut potatoes in salted water to remove starch otherwise they would get soggy. Then, they need to be dusted with cornflour so that gets crispy. It really used to be a hell of a job.
Is Potato Unhealthy?
Potato, in itself, is a healthy vegetable. It offers a variety of vitamins and minerals and is, in fact, good for us. It is rich in Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Iron, and potassium. But the problem occurs when they jump into the oil and become French fries. This frying shoots up not only calories but also increases its fat and sodium content.
What about if we can do away with this deep frying part without compromising on the taste and crispiness? The air fryer does exactly that. So, if you were avoiding French fries just because they are fried then go ahead and take your share. You can read more about the benefits of potatoes here.
But with Airfryer things have changed totally. It is so easy now to make French fries. Just peel-cut-toss-air fry. Yes, only these 4 steps and you have a bowl full of crispy fries which do not get soft or soggy even after a while. French fries in air fryer means:
- No Soaking in salted water
- No Dusting in cornflour
- No oil
- Not unhealthy
- Not soggy
Also, the texture of air-fried french fries is very similar to that of fried ones. They are not dried out likes the ones which are made in Otg. They look very much like the deep-fried French fries only.
You can season your french fries as per your liking. Though we prefer the simple salted ones but you can flavour these with herbs like rosemary, thyme etc or garlic powder or fenugreek leaves etc.
Whether to soak cut potatoes or not?
Soaking is not necessary. After reading here that we can straight away air fry the potatoes after chopping, I gave it a try and the results were pretty good. In fact, I have tried both methods and the difference is negligible. So, if you want to chop potatoes in advance, for whatever reason, then soak them in salted water otherwise put them in air fryer straight away after chopping. If you soak the cut potatoes in water then lightly pat them in a dry towel and then air fry. However, this is true only when you air fry your french fries. If you plan to deep fry then soaking is a must.
So, now let’s see the method of making French fries in the air fryer in detail. I have kept the method very simple here with the seasoning of just salt and pepper. You can add various herbs or flavourings as per your choice. I use the Phillips Air Fryer for cooking.
Recipe Of French Fries In Air Fryer
- Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
- Air frying Time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 4 Pc (250 g) Medium Sized Potatoes
- 1/2 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Wash potatoes, pat dry. Peel them and cut into sticks. I used my french fries cutter. In case you do not have this cutter then first cut thick slices and then cut the slices into sticks. Try to keep the sticks of more or less same thickness as this aids in even browning of the sticks. If you are making these in large quantity then keep the cut sticks in a bowl of water to avoid discolouration of potatoes.
- Drain the water, or simply put the potatoes in a strainer for 5 minutes, and then dry these between a towel or napkin.
- Preheat air fryer for 5 minutes at 180 degree.
- Ensure that the cut potato fingers are completely dried.
- Take all the sticks in a bowl. Drizzle oil, salt and pepper. If you wish to add onion/garlic powder or other herbs then do it now only.
- Toss it nicely.
- Put these potato sticks in the basket of the air fryer. Run it for 20 minutes. In between, take out the basket and shake the fries for even browning. Do this 2 or 3 times.
- If you want more crisp fries then run the air fryer for some more time.
- Serve your golden crispy french fries with lots of smiles and love, tomato ketchup optional.
- Take care that there is no water in the potatoes. If there is then pat dry with a kitchen towel or napkin. If you soak cut potatoes then let the water drain out completely, pat dry and then drizzle oil.
- You can use any oil, not necessary to use olive oil only.
- Add herbs like thyme, rosemary, parsley etc.
Potato Wedges: Cut the potatoes in the shape of wedges and season with herbs.
So now you can have french fries without carrying any guilt. But of course, as they say, excess of anything is bad and is true for these also. Have your healthy french fries but in control.
And I repeat, the method given here is apt only for air fryer. Do not follow this if you plan to deep fry your potato sticks.
Step By Step Pics Of How To Make French Fries In Air Fryer
- Take potatoes sticks in a bowl. Drizzle oil and salt.Toss
- Put these in the air fryer basket.
- Toss after 5 minutes. Repeat tossing once or twice more.
- When done as per your liking then take out. Serve with love, tomato ketchup optional.
I hope you liked this easy and healthy recipe of French Fries and will surely try it out for your loved ones.
Please do take out little time to comment below in the comments section as your feedback fuels my enthusiasm to post more good content. And if you like it then do share it with your dear ones also on your favourite social media sites.
If you wish to stay updated with the latest recipes then follow me on my Facebook page.
Stay Fit… Stay Healthy… But most importantly, Stay Happy…