- 1 Besan Ke Laddu
- 2 How To Make Besan Ke Laddu
Recently updated on December 14th, 2020
How to Make Besan ke Laddu so as to save time & use less ghee? So, make these in the microwave and that too with jaggery, loaded with almonds, poppy seeds & white pepper.
Besan Ke Laddu
Besan ke Ladoo is one of the oldest sweets. These are made all over India and needs no introduction. it is one sweet which every Indian lady has made some time or the other.
I recall today what my grandmother used to tell me often. During her childhood days, food was very simple. No elaborate breakfasts or teatime snacks were there. Being an early riser, she says that her mother (my Great Grandmother) would give all the children 1 or 2 ladoo and 2 matthi with a glass of buttermilk or simply water. This used to be the breakfast.
Even today, when children move to hostel then it is mandatory that Indian mothers would pack matthi and besan ke laddus for their darlings. It is also for the simple reason that these have a long shelf life and comes as a handy snack to curb hunger pangs.
Go to any traditional Indian house, especially during festivals, then quite probably you will be served these laddus along with other snacks.
Some other easy recipes with besan are:
- Besan Dhokla: Another besan recipe in microwave, that gets ready in just 3 minutes!
- Eggless Frittata: A savoury dish made with gram flour and veggies.
Healthy & Quick Recipe of Besan Ke Laddu
You must be wondering that if it is so common then what on earth makes me post its recipe? So, friends, this is for two reasons.
- Firstly, it is a very healthy version of besan laddus shared with me by my very good friend Sharon. Long back when her children were very young she religiously made these laddus during winters. Being a working woman and at the same time, very particular about what her children should eat, these served as a handy snack for her children in her absence. It’s a great recipe. Unlike the traditional recipe, it is made with very little clarified butter (ghee) and with jaggery powder. No refined sugar is used here.
- Secondly, this recipe is quick to make. These laddus are made in the microwave. Though the original recipe calls for roasting gram flour in a skillet only for 30 to 40 minutes only but I roasted it in the microwave.
The recipe I am sharing here is a very healthy recipe. These Besan laddus have a very good quantity of almonds. Along with almonds it also has poppy seeds and white pepper powder, both having excellent medicinal properties and are perfect to have in winters. And the best part is that all these additional ingredients are perfectly camouflaged. No one, especially children, will come to know about these. So they won’t make faces while eating these laddus. Another very good thing about these laddus is that these are made without sugar, Yes, no refined sugar is used for making these laddus. Instead, jaggery is used. So, isn’t it completely healthy?
Some more winter delicacies that you may want to try:
Health Benefits of Besan Ke Laddu
Besan laddoos are very beneficial for health in many other ways also.
- They are good for building inner strength and immunity.
- Good for people with a lean and thin constitution.
- Good for eyesight as it has white pepper.
- Brings the benefits associated with almonds.
- It is considered nutritious as part of the post-pregnancy diet.
During winters, you give these laddus to your darlings either in the breakfast or in their lunch box or in the evening or as a dessert after meals. These laddus will give them the required warmth along with energy.
Tips For Making Besan Ke Laddu in Microwave
Roasting gram flour in the microwave has certain benefits. Of course, it saves a lot of time. Besides this, hours of labour work is avoided. In the skillet, there are chances of scalding the gram flour (with less ghee). And last but not the least, it consumes a very less amount of ghee.
- These laddus are made in the microwave and it does require a minimum of 10 to 12 minutes of roasting. If not properly roasted then you will not like the taste of raw gram flour. So roast till the colour changes to light brown or say turns mustard colour.
- Though it does take a good amount of ghee but I tried making these with even less ghee. I started with 50 g but had to eventually increase it to 120 g.
- Also, I used fine gram flour only. Didn’t use semolina also to make it coarse. This is because almonds powder is enough to give that coarse texture.
I was waiting for winters to post this recipe. But somehow couldn’t make up for some or the other reason. But recently when my niece asked for it for her daughter then I had to post it. There was no excuse then. So, here comes the recipe for making perfect healthy besan ladoo…
Detailed Instructions Of Besan Ke Ladoo Recipe With Step By Step Pics
- Melt ghee in the microwave.
- Add gram flour and mix nicely.
- Grind almonds and poppy seeds into a fine powder.
- Roast gram flour in the microwave for 7 minutes, stirring after every 1 minute.
- After 4 minutes, it looks like this
- After 7 minutes, mix the almond-poppy seeds-white pepper powder into it.
- Roast for another 4 minutes, stirring after every 1 minute. In between keep pressing the mix so that lumps, if any are broken.
- After 11 minutes…
- Let the mixture cool down a little (not completely).
- Add jaggery powder into it.
- Add green cardamom powder and white pepper powder
- Form laddus using both hands.
- Store in an airtight container. Remains good easily for 2 to 3 months.
- Serve with love, Almond milk optional.
- Give them the shape of modak and offer to Lord Ganesha on Ganesh Chaturthi.
- You can make these with both wheat flour and gram flour, half each.
I hope you have liked this Besan ke Laddu recipe and will surely try it out for your loved ones. I will be happy if you share your creations on Instagram and tag me #samirasrecipediary there.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest too. for the latest recipe updates. Thank you!
How to Make Besan Ke Laddu Recipe Card
How To Make Besan Ke Laddu
An easy, healthy and quick recipe of making besan ke laddu in microwave.
My Cup Measures 240 ml
- 2 Cups 200 g Gram flour (Besan)
- 1/2 Cup +2 Tbsp 120 g Clarified Butter (Ghee)
- 150 g Jaggery Powder See Note 1
- 75 g Almonds
- 20 g Poppy Seeds Khuskhus
- 1/4 tsp White Pepper Powder
- 1/2 tsp Green Cardamom Powder
Heat ghee in the microwave for 30 to 35 seconds.
When melted, add gram flour and mix properly.
Microwave this mixture for 11 minutes, stirring after every 1 minute. This is very important or you may end up burning your gram flour.
In between, whatever time you get, grind almonds and poppy seeds to a fine powder.
After 7 minutes of roasting, mix this almond and poppy seeds powder into this and continue roasting for 4 more minutes. This is mixed at this stage so that even poppy seeds and almonds too get slightly roasted.
After 11 minutes, roasted gram flour will give out a wonderful aroma and even your neighbours would come to know that somewhere ladoos are being made. By this time, the colour of gram flour would also change from yellow to mustard.
Wait for just 10 minutes so that the mix turns warm. Do not let it cool completely.
Mix jaggery powder and green cardamom powder and white pepper powder into the roasted gram flour and form ladoos. Since it has less ghee, therefore, press it hard using both the hands and you will get perfect round shape. If the mixture turns completely cool and it becomes difficult to bind ladoos then heat the mixture in the microwave for just 30 seconds. (See Note 3 & 4)
- You can use powdered sugar or 'boora' in place of jaggery powder.
- Some people like lightly roasted laddus whereas others prefer darkly roasted. We prefer the latter ones.
- If you find it difficult to bind laddus then add a tablespoon of ghee.
- At any stage do not add water or milk to this as this will affect its shelf life.
- You can vary the quantity of almonds, poppy seeds and white pepper as per your preference.