When Christmas is around the corner, along with cakes n chocolates n cookies in the air… yummy chocolate truffles too join them in spreading happiness…
Chocolates are loved by all and I am no exception. I love chocolates in any form be it plain or fruit n nut or Bounty or Truffle or any other.
Long ago, it was just store-bought chocolates from some famous brands. But then Chandrika came into my life as my friend cum mentor. She taught me making cakes and chocolates. She was literally a God Sent angel who was there with me for few years only but in those few years, she gave me the gift of life. I owe my baking skills and chocolate making to her only.
Having learned the art of chocolate making from Chandrika, I was on a roll. I made a lot many varieties of chocolates. In those days, chocolate making was my passion and enjoyed making huge quantities of chocolate . Even now I make chocolates, but occasionally. Chandrika is not with me now, but the memory of those days still thrills me. Wherever she is, my good wishes are with her.
I use dark chocolate or chocolate compound for making my chocolates. It is tempered (melted), and then again set into moulds after adding flavourings and fillings. Tempering of chocolates requires skill and one needs to be careful while doing so, otherwise you may end up wasting the entire chocolate.
Chocolate truffles are, however, the easiest to make. These require neither any moulds nor melting it in the double boiler.
What Are Chocolate Truffles?
If wondering what exactly is meant by chocolate truffles then these are a variety of chocolate confectionery. In this, chocolate ganache is coated with various toppings like cocoa powder, icing sugar, nuts etc.
Types Of Chocolate Truffles
Chocolate truffles are of various kinds like American Chocolate truffles, swiss Chocolate Truffles, French Chocolate truffles etc. You may read more about this here.
Difference Between Chocolate, Truffle And Chocolate Truffles
All these three terms have different meaning and thus this is an interesting read. This has nothing to do with the recipe but sometimes understanding the terms makes a huge difference.
Chocolate is made from roasted and ground cacao seeds. It can be in various shapes and forms, be it melted or paste or in blocks.
Truffle is a type of fungi that grows underground.
Chocolate Truffle is a type of chocolate confectionery primarily made with chocolate and cream and addition of other ingredients is variable and optional. these are either round or oval in shape. Thus, there are no truffles in chocolate truffle. Isnt it interesting? Then why are these called so?
This is because of their resemblance to the truffle mushroom. Thus, they only look similar but tastes totally different. Truffle is a fungus, the Chocolate truffle is a sweet dessert.
How To Make Chocolate Truffles?
We can make chocolate truffles as per our liking, adding what we like the most. You can mix any number of things like nuts, biscuits, desiccated coconut, cornflakes, dried fruits etc flavour with cinnamon, rum/brandy and brown sugar. Feel free to adjust the quantity of nuts and biscuits as per your choice.
Then a mix of cream and chocolate is added to it. These chocolate truffles remain soft only because of the presence of cream in it. That’s it. This mix is then formed into balls and coated with confetti etc. while forming balls your hands may get little chocolate but that should not be a problem, I think.
These truffles are the easiest to make. Nothing can go wrong with it.
You can make these truffles look beautiful by rolling them in a variety of things.
Christmas Chocolate Truffles
Addition of rum and cinnamon make these truffles apt for the Christmas season. I add either rum/brandy or substitute it with honey depending upon for whom I am making these truffles. So, you are free to choose any of the two.
Chocolate Truffle As Perfect Gift
These truffles are perfect for gifting or for satiating your sweet cravings. Very little sugar is added in these truffles. Even this can be avoided if using sweet biscuits.
Detailed Recipe Of Chocolate Truffles With Step By Step Pics
- Crush biscuits using a rolling pin.
- Roast nuts and crush them.
- Chop chocolate into small pieces.
- In a pan, heat cream. When it starts bubbling around the edges, switch off the flame and add broken chocolate pieces. Alternatively, you can heat the cream in the microwave for 1 minute and then add chocolate pieces in it.
- In a bowl, take crushed biscuits, chopped nuts, raisins, brandy (or rum or honey), brown sugar, almond essence and cinnamon powder. and mix nicely.
- Mix nicely and add melted cream chocolate.
- Mix everything and keep in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, take out and form balls.
- Roll these balls in any of the following.
- Serve or Gift to your loved ones….
Use white chocolate instead of dark chocolate.
Recipe Card Of Chocolate Truffles
Christmas Chocolate Truffles
An easy and forgiving recipe where nothing can go wrong.
- 6 Pc Marie Biscuits crushed (See Note 1)
- 1/4 Cup Mixed Nuts Roasted and chopped(almonds, cashews, raisins, walnuts etc) (See Note 2 & 3)
- 1 Tbsp Brandy/Rum/Honey
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar See Note 4
- Few Drops Almond Essence
- 1/2 Tbsp Cinnamon Powder
- 2 Tbsp 30 g Cream (See Note 5)
- 60 gms Dark Chocolate See Note 6
Crush biscuits using a rolling pin.
Roast nuts and crush them.
Add raisins, dates etc.
Break the dark chocolate into small pieces. It is broken or crushed so that it melts easily.
Heat cream in a pan on medium flame.
When starts bubbling around the edges, switch off the flame, add broken dark chocolate, now without mixing, just cover it. The heat of the cream is enough to melt the chocolate.
Till the chocolate gets melted, you do the other preparations.
In a bowl, take crushed biscuits, chopped nuts, brandy (or rum or honey), brown sugar, almond essence and cinnamon powder and mix nicely.
By now, chocolate must have melted, stir until smooth.
Add this chocolate to the dry mix.
Mix properly and keep this in the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes or till firm.
Do not try to form balls now as it will be very moist at this stage.
After some time in the refrigerator, chocolate will set partially.
Then form balls.
Now coat these balls with any of the following:
Mix of cocoa+castor sugar+
finely chopped nutsOats/CornflakesDried Rose Petals,
Serve with love or gift to your loved ones…
- You can take leftover biscuits also, provided they are not salty.
- Roasted nuts taste better, however, you can take plain nuts also.
- Add whatever variety of nuts you prefer (or available in your pantry while making these) like almonds, cashews, walnuts, peanuts, raisins, dates, figs, dried apricots, prunes etc.
- You can omit brown sugar, especially if the biscuits are sweet.
- You can take normal dairy cream or heavy whipping cream, whichever is easily available. I used Amul’s tetra pack.
- Take dark chocolate compound or dark chocolate, any of the two.
If you have liked this recipe of Chocolate Truffles or any of my other recipes then do not forget to leave a comment below and also share it further. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm to post more good content. Also, join me on my Facebook page for more interesting tips and facts.