Make Cake Pops and they are sure to steal the show. They look so attractive, tastes so good and are just ultimate.
The Cake Pops recipe i am sharing here is simple to make, and healthy to eat. This is because, I have made these with wheat cake and the toppings too are healthy.
Your day is made when something homemade becomes the talk of the party and everyone wants to have that one thing only. When everybody is curious to know as to how it was made. Something like this only happened with me when I made these Cake Pops.
Recently, On Raksha Bandhan, I took these to my Mom’s place and of all the things, kids went crazy seeing these. So much so, that in the pics taken there, I was asked about these pops only. The guesswork was going on as to how and of what these were made. Though I made these with the leftover cake but they are so good that forget the leftover cake, you will bake a fresh cake and then make these. And for those who are not into baking even they can make these. Get a readymade cake and make it. That way, it’s a fireless recipe. Check Variation given below.
The cake pops, I have made here are not only attractive and delicious but are healthy too. This is because I have used wheat cake as the base and for toppings also, other than the sugar sprinklers, I have used various other things like desiccated coconut, nuts, seeds, corn flakes/muesli etc.
What are Cake Pops? How To Make Cake Pops?
Cake pops are basically balls of cake dipped in chocolate and covered and decorated with various toppings. And since these are made on lollipop sticks they are called Cake Pops. Thus cake Balls stuck on lollipop sticks.
Cake balls are simple to make but the tricky part is to make them stay on the sticks. But if you carefully go through the process mentioned here then you will not find it difficult.
Recipe? No, no recipe as such. Only the method is there as you have to eyeball everything. Still, I have tried to give it in recipe form but please, please use your expertise and creativity as this is just to give you an idea of how to make it.
Cake Pops Ingredients
You will be surprised knowing the cake pops ingredients. Just 2 main ingredients and the rest are toppings. The 2 main ingredients are a cake and Ganache. Yes, that’s it! For toppings, you may use corn flakes or muesli or desiccated coconut or chocolate chips or sugar sprinkles. Even chopped nuts can be used.
Cake Pops Stand
The Cake Pops need to be in upright position till they are fully dried. Now, for this, you dont have to spend on an expensive stand. You can use various things available in the house like thermocol piece. You can even use a banana or clay dough or even a strainer or a small glass. I used my Ikebana needle holder. Wear your thinking caps and I am sure you will come up with more amazing ideas to do so. And do share with me too.
How To Bind Cake Pops
For binding, you can use multiple things like:
- Ganache or
- Chocolate sauce or
- Condensed milk or
- Nutella or
- Melted chocolate or
- Cream cheese frosting or
- Buttercream frosting.
My Favourite Binding For Cake Pops
Of all the above mentioned, my favourite is Ganache. This is because of many reasons, first is chocolate, with chocolate they taste superb. Secondly, Ganache is the easiest to make and last but not least, it holds the ball well. As for ganache, take chocolate and cream in 2:1 ratio.
And the quantity of these will depend upon the moisture content in your cake. If the cake is too dry then you may require little more. If the cake is moist then very little. In case, you are using frosted cake, then go for Nutella or melted chocolate only. Do not use ganache then as the cream is already there.
Tips To Make Cake Pops
- Use as much frosting as is required to bind the crumbled cake. The dough should not be loose.
- Make the cake balls of medium size. If too small, they will fall apart when the stick is inserted in these. If too big, then the stick will not be able to hold its weight.
- Balls should be smooth and without any cracks.
- Always dip the tip of the lollipop stick in the melted chocolate first and then insert it in the cake ball. This is irrespective of the binding you are using to make cake balls.
- Keep the cake pops in the refrigerator/freezer as mentioned in the recipe.
- Once ready, keep these in the refrigerator only.
Step By Step Pics Showing How To Make Cake Pops
- First of all, take the cake, leftover or fresh, whichever you wish. Again, the flavour doesn’t matter. Last time I used vanilla cake and this time it was Pineapple cake. If you are regular here then you must be knowing that after making Number cake, I was left with a lot of trimmings. Though we ate the big pieces but used the shavings and tiny ones for making these pops.
- Now crumble these pieces with hands and you will have cake crumbs. Normally it is done quite easily. However, if you find it difficult then do it in your mixer or processor. To this, you can add nuts or choco chips or desiccated coconut or maybe any other thing of your choice to the cake crumbs. It is entirely up to you. I made plain only.
- As we have to make balls with these cake crumbs, therefore, you need something to bind it. I used Ganache. For making Ganache, heat cream. Add chopped chocolate into it. After a minute or two, mix it and your Ganache is ready.
- Add ganache to the crumbled cake, starting little at a time.
- You should be able to make a dough of it easily.
- Make Balls out of it.
- Do not make the cake balls too small in size. This is because you will be inserting the sticks into it. So, if too small a size then they will break apart. See that there are no cracks in the balls.
- Once the balls are made, keep them in the refrigerator for few hours or in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes. Do not keep in the freezer for long else you will not be able to insert the stick into it. However, in the refrigerator, you can keep up to a week or two also. Mine rested in the refrigerator for almost two weeks. Though intended to make the pops next day only but somehow couldn’t. But they were perfectly fine. Now, when you take out the balls, roll it once again between your palms.
- Melt chocolate (200 g). Melt it either in the microwave or in the double boiler on the gas stove. If melting in the microwave, do not heat for more than 30 seconds at a time. After 30 seconds, stir, if still hard then heat for another 30 seconds. It may look as if not melted but when you stir it then you will realise that it has melted.
- Dip the tip of the lollipop stick into it and insert it into the cake balls. Keep this again in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes. This chocolate, when set, will hold the ball on the stick.
- If the chocolate has hardened by now then again melt it. Let it cool down a little. If the chocolate is too hot then the cake balls will crack due to the temperature difference. Dip cake pops in the melted chocolate, gently tap your wrist to shed extra chocolate. Sprinkle toppings of your choice on it. Like sprinklers or desiccated coconut or corn flakes or chopped dry fruits or granola or whatever you can think of.
- After this, you need to keep it in an upright position till dries up completely. For that, you can use thermocol or a small glass or basket. I used my Ikebana needle holder. It worked great.
- And, do not leave it in open. As the chocolate melts even the pops may slide from the sticks. So, keep these in the refrigerator or in the freezer. Mine were out for a long time due to photo sessions and they started slipping. So, please take care of this.
Variation: Cake Truffles.
You can use these for the Fireless competition in your kid’s school. in that case, forget the stick and chocolate. Use Nutella in place of ganache, make cake balls and roll them in the nuts or sprinklers.
Related Recipes: Chocolate Truffles
Still, A Quick Look at the Cake Pops Recipe …
Make cake pops and win the heart of children as well the elders. Best use of leftover cake but these are so good that I bet you will bake a fresh cake and make these.
- 2 Cups Cake leftover or fresh
- 2 Tablespoon Cream, Dairy or Non Dairy
- 4 Tablespoon Chocolate, Dark/White for Ganache
- 200 g Chocolate for Pops
- 1/2 Cup Sprinkles/Desiccated coconut/Nuts etc.
Make chocolate ganache. For this, heat cream for 30 to 40 seconds in the microwave or on gas stove. When bubbling, add chopped chocolate (40 g). Cover for 5 minutes. Chocolate will melt in the hot cream. Mix it nicely and let it cool down. Will thicken after cooling. In the meantime, do other preparations.
Crumble cake, preferably with hands.
Depending upon the moisture in the cake, add ganache, starting from 1 tablespoon. If you are able to bind it then fine otherwise add little more. In case, you end up adding more ganache then no problem keep it in the refrigerator for few minutes and then proceed. Or you can add desiccated coconut or nuts also.
Take little dough and rolling between your palms, make balls of it. The balls should be smooth without any cracks. Keep the size of balls little bigger so that you can insert lollipop sticks in it. If too small, then it will break apart while inserting the stick.
Keep it in the freezer for about 15 minutes or in the refrigerator for an hour (can keep it like this for up to 15 days also). This is done so that the cake balls get firm.
Melt chocolate (200 g). Melt it either in the microwave or in the double boiler on the gas stove. If in the microwave then do not heat it for more than 30 -40 seconds. Stir, if need be again put for 20 to 30 seconds.
Dip the tip of the lollipop stick into it and insert it into the cake balls. Keep this again in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes. This chocolate, when set, will hold the ball on the stick.
If the chocolate has hardened by now then again melt it. Let it cool down a little. If the chocolate is too hot then the cake balls will crack due to the temperature difference. Dip cake pops in the melted chocolate, gently tap your wrist to shed extra chocolate.
Sprinkle toppings of your choice on it. Like sprinklers or desiccated coconut or corn flakes or chopped dry fruits or granola or whatever you can think of.
Keep it in an upright position on thermocol sheet or glass etc. Look for things where you can fix these pops.
Store them in the refrigerator till use. You can also freeze these for upto 2 to 3 months.
Use any cake, vanilla or chocolate or any other flavour. I used Pineapple cake here.
If using frosted cake, then remove the excess cream, crumble it and use only melted chocolate, that too very little.
You can use any cream, be it dairy or non-dairy. Both work fine.
You can use any chocolate, dark or white. Though I used dark chocolate only.
Leftover ganache or chocolate can be added to the milkshake or mix nuts and make balls.
You can use these for the Fireless competition in your kid's school. in that case, forget the stick and chocolate. Use Nutella in place of ganache, make cake balls and roll them in the nuts or sprinklers.
So, how did you like it? Isn’t it a cool recipe? So, if you try this simple recipe then do share it with your pics.
Hope you have found this post useful and have liked this Cake Pops Recipe.
If you like this recipe then do join me on my Facebook page to know about my latest recipes. Do share your feedback as it fuels my enthusiasm to post more good content.
Stay Fit… Stay Healthy… But most importantly, Stay Happy…