One more healthy snack from my kitty which I make very often and this is crispy crunchy Masala peanuts coated with gram flour.
We have Peanut butter, peanut (groundnut) oil, roasted peanuts, fried peanuts etc. Remember how much we all used
to enjoy eating peanuts in winters by cracking groundnuts between our teeth and then munching on it. However, that culture seems to be weaning now as people neither have time to sit in the sunlight nor are inclined to peel each groundnut and then eat it. Though, it is the most preferred nut in winters and is called poor man’s almonds because of its low cost.
Peanuts are a healthy snack, rich in antioxidants, B Vitamins and healthy monosaturated fats. They have many heart-healthy nutrients thus are good for heart preventing heart disease. They are a good source of protein hence good for those on a vegan diet. Though these are high in fat but low in carbs and have a low GI which them an ideal choice for sugar patients. They are also good for those looking for weight loss foods. Yes, they aid in weight loss as these are very filling and thus curb your hunger for a long time. Lastly, as always said and advised, an excess of everything is bad therefore even they need to be eaten in moderation only. You can read more about the benefits of peanuts here.
And the best part about masala peanuts is, actually many good things about it are there. First of all, as you know peanuts come in the category of healthy snacks. And this healthy snack actually remains healthy if not fried. And in this recipe, we are roasting our peanuts. I used just one teaspoon oil in 200 peanuts. Secondly, it is coated in gram flour, which again is a healthy flour and is gluten-free too. Thirdly, it gets ready quickly, in just 15 to 20 minutes. You can do it in microwave or Otg or in air fryer. I roasted these in air fryer. I find air fryer really useful. And last but not the least, it is a healthy yet very tasty snack. Normally these are spicy but you can adjust spices as per your taste.
Earlier I used to make this in the microwave oven but for the past few months have been doing it in air fryer. For my New year’s get together this year, I made these peanuts for munching in between snacks and dinner and was loved by all. My sister in law even commented that I am making full use of my air fryer. This is very much true. For everything now, I first think of air fryer. I am doing my roasting, baking, grilling, reheating and many other things in air fryer. You can check my Air fryer recipes post to see what all I do in my air fryer.
Roasted Masala Peanuts is a very easy snack to make and can be prepared at a very short notice too. You can make it in bulk and store it in an airtight container. Remains good uptil a month or so.
For making these, peanuts are first rinsed in fresh water and then rolled in gram flour and spices. These are rinsed so that they are coated properly with gram flour. Earlier (even now) people used to fry these. But as peanuts are already high in fat then just imagine how much unhealthy they would become when fried. So, now the healthy version is to roast them.
As gram flour batter is quite thick and peanuts tend to stick to each other therefore you need to separate them manually when half done but that is not an issue and are separated very easily.
I am sharing here the basic recipe of roasted masala peanuts, you can adjust the spices and the crunchiness as per your taste. When I say crunchiness, I mean roast it for more or less time as you think appropriate.
When taken out of the air fryer/oven, these are soft. Leave them in open for some time, just 5 minutes, and they become crunchy.
Let’s see the method of making roasted masala peanuts in detail.
Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: 7 minutes
1 Cup (200 g) Peanuts
1/4 Cup Gram flour (Besan)
1/2 teaspoon or as per taste Salt
1/2 teaspoon or as per taste Red Chilli Powder
1/4 teaspoon Whole Spice Powder (Garam Masala)
1/2 teaspoon Chat Masala (Optional)
1 teaspoon Oil
6 to 7 Tablespoon Water
- Rinse peanuts and keep them in a strainer for a minute so that extra water drains out.
- Start preheating air fryer for 2 to 3 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Take rinsed peanuts in a bowl.
- Add gram flour, all the spices and oil.
- Rub nicely so that peanuts are very well coated with gram flour.
- As it is very dry at this stage, add water, little at a time so that gram flour mix sticks to the peanuts.
- Spray oil in the air fryer basket or brush it with oil.
- Using your hands, put gram flour coated peanuts on the air fryer basket, try to separate as much as you can. But don’t struggle to lay each kernel separately.
- After 2 minutes, take out the air fryer basket, separate the peanuts which are clinged together.
- Continue air frying for another 4 to 5 minutes, tossing once in between.
- When the colour changes to golden brown, take out and leave them on a plate for some time. As they cool down, they will get crunchy.
- When completely cooled down, serve or store in an airtight container.
- You can roast these in the microwave also. After step number 6, spread these in a microwave safe plate. Do not overlap much, try to lay down a single layer only.
- Microwave for a minute. Take out, separate the peanuts.
- Again put in microwave oven for 4 minutes, tossing after every one minute. This is very important or you will end up burning your peanuts.
- Take raw peanuts, skinned or without skin.
- No need to roast peanuts first.
- Take any oil which you use in your kitchen. I had groundnut oil also so I opted for it.
- You can make these in Otg also. Preheat Otg at 180 degrees for 5 minutes. Grease the baking tray and lay peanuts. Roast for about 6 to 8 minutes.
You can roast peanuts also in the same way that is without any gram flour. However, it will take very less time, just 2 to 3 minutes only.
Detailed Recipe Of Roasted Masala Peanuts With Step By Step Pics
Take raw peanuts, I have taken skinned ones.
Rinse them in fresh water. You don’t have to soak them. The purpose is to just make them wet.
Keep them in a strainer so that excess water drains out.
Add gram flour, salt, red chilli powder, whole spice powder, chat masala and oil.
Mix well, rubbing by hands so that all the peanuts are coated with the dry mix.
Now start adding water, little at a time and rubbing side by side. We need very little water so that the gram flour sticks nicely to the peanuts.
Now spread these in the air fryer with hands, separating them as much as possible.
Try to lay a single layer only and do not overlap much.
Air fry for 2 minutes, then take out the basket, separate the peanuts lightly and shake the basket so that peanuts do not stick there. Again air fry for 3 to 4 minutes more.
Take out and spread these in a plate/tray and leave them open. Do not cover. After some time they will be crunchy.
Store them in an airtight container.
Serve with love, tea optional.
My other easy and quick snacks which you may like are
Hope you like this easy n simple recipe and will definitely give it a try. Share your comments and feedback as it fuels my enthusiasm to post more good content. you can join me on Facebook, Google+ and Pinterest as well.
If you post your creation on Instagram then do tag me as #samirasrecipediary
Happy Healthy Munching