Roasted Poha Namkeen: Quick and Instant is a quick and instant namkeen in the real sense, as it gets ready in flat 10 minutes. So, next time you have guests, by the time you prepare tea/coffee, your snack item will also be ready.
Call it poha namkeen or chiwda namkeen or diet mixture or by any other name. One thing remains common that this crispy-crunchy-light weight-zero calorie mixture is loved by all. Have it with tea, without tea or for any time munching it always tickle our taste buds. You just can’t stop easily after having even little. Weight watchers love it as it has zero calories…
No matter how much I make it, it gets finished in a jiffy. Everybody loves it. Especially if you start eating it while watching TV then all you get back is the empty container.
Poha or say flattened rice or rice flakes is really helpful in maintaining ideal weight. It is fat-free, gluten-free and is lactose-free too. Thus it is very good for those who are allergic to wheat. It is easy to digest and is thus advised if the tummy is upset. It is a common breakfast item and is equally preferred for the late afternoon snack or anytime munching.
Poha is quick to make and is made in numerous ways. It comes in 2 varieties, thick and thin. Though thick poha is ideal for frying. For roasting, you can use either thick or thin poha. Other than as a snack, it is also used as a binding agent in cutlets etc.
I make roasted poha namkeen only, earlier I used to make it in a kadhai (wok). That too was simple except that it took some time plus flipping it off and on. But since I have started making this in air fryer life is all the more easy n simple. It takes just 10 minutes, including roasting of peanuts, and my poha namkeen gets ready. Actually, my husband takes this poha namkeen with him for munching on his way back from the office. So, now, in the morning, while I prepare his lunch, side by side I prepare this namkeen also. Poha or chiwda gets roasted in 3 to 4 minutes, peanuts in just 2 minutes and my namkeen gets ready in 10 minutes. All thanks to air fryer.
But you can always make it in kadhai especially if making in bulk.
For this poha namkeen, you can use either thick or thin poha. Its just that thicker one takes little more time in getting roasted. Along with roasted poha, I like to add roasted chana, peanuts and some crushed papad. Papad gives a little spicy taste to this namkeen. You can even add corn flakes to it.
Now as everything is dry than how to mix salt and spices in it? There are 2 methods for this. First is, heat little oil, splutter mustard seeds, curry leaves and whole red chillies in it. Sprinkle salt and chat masala on the dry mix of poha, put oil and toss nicely. The other is that you first sprinkle water on the dry mix then sprinkle salt and chat masala and toss everything. With the help of water, spices will be mixed nicely in the poha mixture. Toss using 2 spoons nicely. And your poha namkeen is ready. I usually follow the second method, that is with water. Sometimes, I add lemon juice also and that too gives very good taste.
It is an extremely easy and simple recipe. For air frying, take poha in a bowl. You can even keep it on an aluminium foil or butter paper or tissue paper. Preheat air fryer for 2 minutes at 180 degrees. Place the butter paper with poha in the air fryer basket.
Check after 3-4 minutes. The white poha will change colour slightly. You can even take one piece and press between your fingers. If cracks easily then done otherwise air fry it little more.
When done, take it out in a bowl. Then air fry peanuts for just 2 minutes.
In the bowl, take roasted poha, roasted peanuts, roasted chana (store-bought), roasted & crushed papad and dried curry leaves.
Mix everything. Put salt and chat masala.
Heat oil, splutter mustard seeds, curry leaves and whole red/green chillies and put it over the poha mixture.
Serve or store in an airtight container.
Preparation Time: Nil
Cooking Time: 8 minutes
Yields: 150 g
100 g Poha
25 g Peanuts
25 g Roasted Chana
1 Tbsp Curry Leaves, Dried
2 pc Papad, roasted
1/2 teaspoon or as per taste Salt
1/4 teaspoon Chaat Masala
- Preheat air fryer for 2 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Take poha in a bowl or parchment paper or aluminium foil and keep it in the basket of the air fryer. Keep the paper or foil in such a way that the basket is not fully covered and there is space for the hot air to move freely. See the pic above for reference.
- Air fry poha for 4 to 5 minutes depending upon how crunchy you like.
- Once done, take out the poha in a bowl.
- Now, add peanuts in the air fryer basket. No need of any foil or paper now. This is because peanuts can easily stay on the basket.
- Air fry for just 2 minutes. They get roasted very fast so take care.
- In the bowl, mix everything that is roasted poha, roasted peanuts, crushed papad and roasted chana. You can add cornflakes and coconut pieces if desired.
- Sprinkle salt and chat masala.
- Heat oil, splutter mustard seeds and whole red chillies.
- Put this oil on poha mixture.
- Toss nicely using 2 spoons or with light hands.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Time of roasting poha may vary slightly depending upon the air fryer. So, keep a watch on it and adjust time accordingly.
- Adjust the quantity of all the ingredients as per your preference.
- You can make it in a kadhai (wok) as well if wishing to make in bulk. The process remains exactly the same.
My other easy and quick snacks which you may like are
Hope you like this easy n simple recipe and will definitely give it a try. Share your comments and feedback as it fuels my enthusiasm to post more good content. you can join me on Facebook, Google+ and Pinterest as well.
If you post your creation on Instagram then do tag me as #samirasrecipediary