Healthy Mango Parfait: A Guilt-free Dessert
Mangoes… the most loved fruit all over. Summers are awaited mainly because it brings with it a plethora of yummy fruits. And of all the fruits, mangoes, the king of fruits, is undoubtedly the winner. All four of us can go on eating mangoes without saying ‘énough”.
With mangoes, you can daily have a new dessert and still not get bored. If no dessert is being made even then you can have it just like this. And with a large variety of mangoes available in the market, we get to taste a different mango each time. With mangoes, it’s always a party time.
Other Mango Recipes which you may find interesting are
This mango parfait is a healthy guilt-free dessert. With such desserts, you don’t have to think even once before having it. In fact, you can have it in breakfast also.
It has mangoes, fruits and? any guesses? No, it’s not custard. It’s not even whipped cream. What? Ice cream? No dear, its none of these. Then? Just mango puree? Hmmm, well mango puree is there. But it’s not just mango puree. Along with mango puree, it has one more ingredient. And this one more ingredient is one of the most healthy and cool ingredient, readily available in all households. Yes, it’s yogurt. To put it in simple words it has mango yogurt and fruits plus some cake and coulis for add-on taste and colour.
Because of hung curd, it is so creamy that you will not at all miss custard or cream in it. In fact you can have a large serving also as it is healthy and not full of calories.
Benefits of curd are well known.
It is excellent for digestion and has immense cooling properties and is therefore apt for summers. In fact, one should have at least a bowl of curd daily in summers. For all those who don’t want to have milk, either they don’t like the taste or find it hard on digestion or are lactose intolerant, then they can easily and happily go for yogurt. So, please don’t force your children to have milk only. Give them alternatives and they will have it readily. Also, curd gives you glowing skin. Remember using it in your face pack along with gram flour (besan) and turmeric. Curd, being the best probiotic food, helps in boosting immunity too. It is good for the heart, teeth and bones. Daily consumption of curd aids in weight loss too. You can read more about the benefits of yogurt in detail here.
Mangoes, not only rich in taste but are also flooded with health and nutritional benefits. It has got antioxidants that help in preventing cancer. The fiber, potassium, and vitamin content in mangoes all help to ward off heart disease, constipation. It is good for skin also. One cup of diced mangoes fulfills 100% of our daily need for vitamin C.You may read more about the benefits of mangoes here.
This Healthy Mango Parfait has many plus points. First of all, it has no white sugar. Instead, it has honey. Secondly, it’s a no-cook dessert. And last but not the least, it can be had as a dessert or in the breakfast.
Since mangoes come in many varieties so choose your mangoes wisely for making this Mango dessert. Go for mangoes which are sweet and also bright yellow in colour. Colour is important as it should be pleasing to the eyes too. A pale yellow mango, may be excellent in taste, but when in a parfait, might not be soothing to eyes.
As I didn’t want to use custard or whipped cream in my parfait, therefore, decided to use yogurt. You can say that this recipe is basically a dessert version of my own recipe ‘Yogurt Muesli’. The two differences are that of presentation and the other is that here I have used Strawberry coulis and chocolate cake whereas in Yogurt Uesli, instead of these two, I used muesli.
If you are having this for breakfast then replace chocolate cake and strawberry coulis with muesli. It too tastes good.
Now, the recipe of this parfait is pretty simple. You just need mango puree, hung curd, fruits of your choice, chocolate cake and strawberry coulis/crush.
Making hung curd is also very simple. You just need some planning, that’s it. Keep your curd in the strainer placed on a bowl. Keep it like this for few hours or overnight in the refrigerator and you have your hung curd ready. The water collected in the bowl underneath is very very nutritious and do not throw it by any chance. You may check the making of hung curd and uses of whey in detail here.
Since you can have a variety of combinations in making a parfait so, use your imagination and creativity in beautifying it. Also go through the Notes given at the end for various options. This is just a basic guide to make a parfait.
Let us see the making of Mango Parfait in detail.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: Nil
3 pc Mangoes
1/2 Cup Hung Curd
1 teaspoon Honey
1/4 Cup Mixed Fruits, chopped finely (kiwi, plums, grapes, apple etc)
4 Tablespoon, Chocolate Cake, crumbled
1 teaspoon Strawberry Coulis/ Crush
- Chop mangoes finely. Reserve some, around 2 tablespoons for topping and use the remaining for making mango yogurt.
- In a blender put chopped mangoes and hung curd and puree it fine.
- Your mango yogurt is ready. Sweeten it with honey. The quantity of honey will depend upon the sweetness of your mangoes. You can have it as it is also.
- Now take a beautiful looking glass. Put strawberry coulis in it.
- Add some crumbled chocolate cake. I used my zebra cake here.
- Put mango yogurt.
- Arrange fruits.
- Again add mango yogurt. Top with some mango pieces.
- Serve with love…
- For best results use everything chilled. You can even keep this in the refrigerator for a while.
- You may adjust the quantity of mangoes and curs as per your liking.
- Avoid watery fruits like watermelon or muskmelon.
- You may use custard in place of yogurt. For this ensure that the custard cools down completely before you add mango puree to it.
- You may use muesli in place of strawberry coulis and chocolate cake.
- You may use strawberry/blueberry crush or mocktail syrups or fruit jam (diluted in little water) in place of strawberry coulis.
- I have used honey but you can use white sugar or brown sugar as well. Be careful while using jaggery or brown sugar as it may deteriorate the colour of mangoes. If not bothered about the colour then go for it.
- You may change the arrangement by adding strawberry coulis above the mango yogurt and then fruits.
Other Mango Recipes which you may find interesting are
I am sure you will give this simple yet yummylicious and attractive recipe a try. Do share pics of your creation either here or on Instagram and tag me as #samirasrecipediary.
Mangoes are in full swing nowadays. But still, if you wish to make it little late then pin it on Pinterest.