Spinach Soup… Clear and Light
Spinach soup… once again a very light soup made from the stalks of spinach. If you have been following my blog then you must be knowing that I and my family prefer only clear and light soups.
Though Cream of Spinach is a very popular and sought for soup somehow we don’t have a liking for it. Such soups are very heavy on the digestive system and curb hunger instead of acting as an appetiser. Anyway, we all have our preferences.
Spinach soup is just like my Lemon Coriander soup. This soup is also made from spinach stalks which normally goes into the trash after plucking the juicy leaves.
In fact, these stalks are full of flavour and nutrients. And soup made from these stalks is very light and also possesses the nutrients of stalks.
Just remove the root portion and wash thoroughly the stalks. Boil these stalks with little water. Grind it, pass through a strainer and that’s it. No need of adding any thickening agents like corn flour or gram flour.
Boil this soup with ginger and whole spices like bay leaf, cinnamon and black cardamom. It tastes just superb. Dash of lemon juice at the time of serving enhances the taste a lot.
Once you make this soup, I am sure you will never ever waste the spinach stalks.
Again, no fixed quantity of ingredients. If the stalks are less you may add a tomato or carrot while boiling.
- Take spinach. Separate the leaves and stalks, which means the stems. Use the leaves for whatever purpose you require. Out of the stalks, remove roots and thoroughly wash the stalks.
- Put the washed stalks in the pressure cooker along with some water and boil these for 2 whistles.
- While boiling you may add a tomato or carrot also.
- When cools completely, blend everything in the blender. You can even use a hand mixer and blend in the pressure cooker also even when hot.
- After blending, pass everything through a strainer. This is your lovely, aromatic, green coloured stock.
- Heat a pan on the gas stove, add oil/ghee. Saute bay leaf, cinnamon, ginger paste and green chilli paste.
- Put the stalks stock in the vessel.
- Add salt and roughly 2 cups water and boil it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped tomato, though optional.
- Add lemon juice.
- Serve with love, salad optional.
Also, join me on my Facebook page for more interesting tips and facts.