Baked Spinach Corn… Completely Healthy n Absolutely Yummy!!!!
Baked Spinach Corn is a continental dish, cooked in white sauce and served with garlic bread.
It is an excellent dish to be served at parties or in your day to day meals.
Spinach needs no explanation. We all are very well aware of the benefits of this leafy vegetable. Storehouse of calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, manganese, vitamins A, C, E, K and B6, thiamin, protein, fibre. It is low in fat and even lower in cholesterol.
- In a pan, heat olive oil. Put crushed garlic and chopped onion.
- Saute until light brown.
- Add chopped spinach to it and cook on medium flame. Cook till all the water evaporates and it becomes almost dry.
- This serves the dual purpose, the spinach gets cooked and all the water is evaporated.
- Boil corns for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender.
- Prepare white sauce.(Recipe is given at the end)
- While the sauce is getting ready, Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Add sauteed spinach and boiled corns in the white sauce.
- Mix properly and adjust seasoning, if required.
- Transfer it to a baking dish.
- Sprinkle grated cheese over it.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 5 to 7 minutes or till cheese melts and gets a little brown
- Serve with love and bread of your choice, preferably garlic bread.
- Clean spinach, take off thick stalks and wilted leaves. Wash it thoroughly in running water. Chop it very finely. 1/2 kg of spinach gives about 250 g of cleaned and chopped spinach.
- Squeeze out excess water in the chopped spinach by pressing between your palms. This saves your cooking time.
- While cooking ensure that the spinach dries up otherwise when transferred to white sauce it will be watery.
- I have added salt only to the white sauce. Keep salt on the lower side only as cheese too has salt.
- Use any cheese that melts easily, mozzarella or cheese slices.
- You may adjust the quantity of corn and cheese as per your liking.
Recipe in a Jiffy
- Saute garlic, onion and chopped spinach in little oil till all the water in the spinach dries up.
- Mix sauteed spinach, boiled corns in white sauce.
- Grate cheese over it and bake till cheese melts, for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Put oil and butter in a heated pan. (Butter, when added directly, tends to burn, hence added to oil)
- When butter melts, add wheat flour.
- Stirring continuously, cook on medium flame for a minute or so, It should be like a roux (paste). If the mix is even little crumbled, add little more butter.
- While cooking it will be frothy, keep stirring.
- When the colour of the flour changes a little, also you can feel the aroma coming out of it then switch off the flame.
- Pour little milk with one hand and keep stirring with the other hand. You have to be quick otherwise lumps may form.(Always add milk in batches)
- When mixed homogenously, again pour some more milk repeating the act of stirring. It will be a smooth paste.
- Lastly, put the remaining milk. Mix nicely.
- It will be very liquidy at this stage.
- Cook this liquidy mixture on medium flame.
- Soon it will start thickening. After about 5 to 6 minutes, when it coats the back of the spoon and you get the desired sauce-like consistency, then switch off the flame.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Use as desired.
Detailed Recipe With Step By Step Pics