Stromboli has become a regular in my house. Everybody loves it. And the best part is that it comes as a handy snack whenever anybody wants it. I make it and it easily lasts for 3 to 4 days.
But what is Stromboli? The actual meaning of Stromboli is Rolled Pizza. But I think it is somewhere between bread and pizza. You can call it stuffed bread or rolled Pizza.
It is wonderful to be packed in Lunchbox, or an evening snack or your lunch/dinner.
Going for a picnic? Take this.
When children, no matter even if grown up, throw tantrums in eating normal chapati with vegetables then recipes like this are a boon. Made with wheat flour, stuffed with veggies… what else do we want. It satisfies both kids and the mothers at the same time.
Stromboli has everything that a pizza has. It is made with the pizza dough only. The dough is spread like a chapati, then spread the mix of veggies and cheese. Thereafter, it is rolled and baked. Simple, isn’t it?
Then it is cut into slices like that of bread. And you can keep these slices for few days in the refrigerator. So, a handy snack.
Last year, I read the word ‘Stromboli ‘ for the first time in some magazine. Had no clue what it was. Really thought that it must be some very difficult and ticklish dish.Then after some digging came to know about it and gave it a try. It was a big hit. Since then I have made it umpteen times not only for my family but also for gifting. The response has been awesome always.
I started making stromboli with all-purpose flour. Then after some time, shifted to a little healthy version by mixing whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour in 50: 50 ratio. But now, I make it 100% with wheat flour.
You can choose to make the dough as per your liking. Everything remains the same except for the quantity of liquid. Whole wheat absorbs much more water than the all-purpose flour. So, reduce the liquid intake if making otherwise.
The recipe for the dough is exactly the same which I use for making pizza. So, if you have tried my wheat pizza then its, even more, easier for you.
With this much dough, you can easily make 3 strombolis. But, I usually make 2 Strombolis and 1 Garlic Bread.
You can make this with any pizza dough, readymade, store bought, your own recipe or the recipe given here.
And use any filling of your choice. I have used the normal veggies like onion, capsicum, bell peppers, broccoli etc . sauteed in olive oil and some pizza sauce.
So, what do you say? Liked the idea?
It is easy to make but rolling part requires little practice. But I promise you, if you follow the steps and the tips given, you will be able to make wonderful stromboli. In case, it tears while rolling or sealing, feel free to cover it with some pizza dough, like a patchwork.
I want to share one more thing here. This time, while I was kneading the dough, I got a call from dear hubby that we had to go out somewhere urgently. What to do? So, I kneaded the dough, kept it in an airtight container and straight away kept it in the refrigerator. Next day, almost after 24 hours, took it out, was well risen by then. Deflated it and proceeded as usual. And the strombolis came perfect.
The recipe seems to be very lengthy. But actually is simple. I suggest you read it first carefully. Understand it and then start making your delectable Stromboli.
Now, let’s get started with the recipe.
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Passive Time: 90 Minutes
Baking Time: 40 Minutes
Makes: 3 loaves
Detailed Recipe Of Stromboli With Some Pics
Sift flour and salt at least 3 to 4 times.
Add sugar and instant yeast to the sifted flour.
Add oil, butter, warm water and lukewarm milk and start kneading. It will be very sticky initially.
Keep kneading, after about 15 minutes, it will stop sticking and will become smooth and shiny.
Grease a bowl, put this dough, invert it so that it is greased from the top as well. Cover it and let it rise for an hour or so.
While the dough is resting, prepare the filling.
After an hour, when it doubles in volume, deflate it.
Knead for 30 seconds or so. Form a log and divide it into 3 parts using a cutter.
Keep the two parts covered in a bowl. Take one part. Sprinkle flour on the working surface and roll it in oblong shape using a rolling pin.
Ensure that it is not at all sticking to the surface and you can lift it easily.
Put the filling towards the bottom.
Brush water on the edges, as it helps in sealing the dough.
Grate cheese on the veggies.
Fold it like an envelope, as shown in the pic, and then start rolling.
When rolled, seal the edges by pinching motion first and then flatten it, with wet fingers.
Invert it and keep it on the baking tray, lined with parchment paper/aluminium foil.
Similarly, make the other stromboli also and keep it on the baking tray, with sufficient distance in between.
Cover it with a damp cloth for 15 to 2o minutes.
After 15 minutes, start preheating the oven at 190 degrees for 10 minutes.
Brush the strombolis with milk, sprinkle seasonings.
Make cuts with a serrated knife.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown and the whole house comes to know that stromboli is being baked…
Keep it on a wire rack.
Cover with a damp cloth, for minimum 10 minutes or till cools down.
(If you are wondering where is the third portion of the dough, so I kept it back in the refrigerator and made garlic bread the next day.)
If you try this recipe or have tried any of my other recipes then please leave a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm to post more good recipes.
Also, join me on my Facebook page for more interesting tips and facts.
Stromboli is nothing but a cousin of Pizza only. But it can be easily made ahead and serves as a handy snack thereafter. Good to be packed in the lunch box or served as an evening snack.
For the Dough (My Cup Measures 250 ml)
- 3 Cups +1 Tbsp 400 gms Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Instant Yeast (See Note 1)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 3/4 Cup 150 ml Warm Water (See Note 2 and 3)
- 3/4 Cup 150ml Milk, lukewarm
- 1 tsp Oil
For Making Filling
- 2 to 3 Tbsp Pizza Sauce Homemade or Store bought ( or Tomato Ketchup)
- 2 Onions
- 2 Bell Peppers
- 1 Capsicum
- 1/4 Cup Corns mushrooms, olives etc
- 1 Tbsp Melted Butter
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- Oregano to taste
- Chilli Flakes to taste
For Making Stromboli
- 1/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour for dusting etc
- 200 g Pizza Cheese
- 1 Tbsp Milk For Milk Wash
- 1 Tsp Chilli flakes
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil or Butter
For the Dough
Take flour, salt, sugar and instant yeast in a big bowl and whisk well. (See Note 1)
- Mix in oil and butter.
- Start kneading, using both warm water and milk. (See Note 2 & 3)
- Knead for at least 15 minutes till dough stops sticking and becomes smooth and shiny (See Note 4 & 5)
- Take a greased bowl. put the dough in it and then invert the dough so that the greased side comes on the top. This is important or else the dough may dry up and form cracks while rising.
- Cover the bowl with cling film or lid and let it rest for an hour or so, in some warm place (See Note 6).
- When the dough gets doubled, deflate it to release the gases and knead for 30 seconds or so.
- The Pizza dough is ready now.
- At this stage, you can keep it in refrigerator up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months or just go ahead and make pizzas/stromboli.
FOR MAKING FILLING
- While the pizza dough is resting, you get to work and make the filling.
- In a pan, heat oil.
- Add all the veggies and saute on high flame for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add pizza sauce, salt, chilli flakes and oregano.
- When all the excess moisture evaporates, switch off the flame.
- Let the filling cool down completely. Never use the warm filling as it is not only difficult to handle but also the dough may tear.
FOR MAKING STROMBOLI
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C for at least 15 to 20 minutes. During this time, do the following preparations.
- Divide the dough into 3 parts.(See Note 7)
- Take one part, keeping the other 2 parts covered with some lid/cloth. (See Note 8)
- Sprinkle flour on the kitchen platform, take a ball and roll it thinly using a rolling pin. Roll it just the way you roll out a chapati.
- Before placing the stuffing ensure that you can lift the rolled out dough easily. For this sprinkle enough dry flour beneath it.
- Place the stuffing on this rolled out dough. Keep the filling towards the bottom side only. Also, leave the edges all around.
- Grate pizza cheese on the filling.
- Brush little water on the edges all around.
- Start rolling tightly into a log.
- Seal the edges properly.
- Invert the log, and keep it on the baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Cover it with a damp cloth and let it rest for about 20 minutes.
- Similarly, make strombolis from the other two parts also.
- Keep all the (2 or 3) strombolis on the baking tray, keeping the large gap in between. (See Note 9)
- After about 10 minutes, start preheating the oven to 190 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Before keeping the stromboli in the oven, apply milk with a brush on the strombolis and sprinkle some seasonings on them.
- Make cuts, as shown in the pics below, with a serrated knife. This is very important, as it allows the steam to escape, otherwise stromboli may burst open.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or till turns golden brown.
- When baked, take out the strombolis and place it on a wire rack.
- Brush olive oil or butter.
- Cover with a damp cloth till cools down. If you can’t wait and wish to eat warm then also cover for at least 10 minutes.(See Note 10)
- Cut slices.
- Can keep the remaining in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- This time, I have mixed yeast directly into the flour so ensure that your yeast is of good quality and is not expired. If not sure, then please proof it in warm water first. For proofing take 3/4 cup warm water, add sugar and yeast. Cover it and leave it for at least 10 minutes till frothy.
- Knead sifted flour with this water and milk. Use warm water only for kneading otherwise yeast will not activate and consequently, your dough will not rise.
- The total liquid used is 1.5 cups divided between milk and water. The quantity of water may vary slightly, a tablespoon more or less, depending on the flour, so take care of this and add water slowly. In case, you end up adding too much water then add a little flour, as required.
- For kneading, sprinkle very little flour on the kitchen platform, put the dough there, press it with the heels of your hands at different places. when spread then fold it and again start pressing. Do this for about 4-5 minutes till the dough becomes smooth, shiny and clears the poke test. If you poke a finger in the dough, it will spring back. Also, if you hold the dough in your hand then it will be firm and not be sagging.
- Rising time depends on the quantity of yeast and on the weather conditions. During summers it may rise in 45 minutes to 1 hour. Whereas in winters it may take even up to 2 hours.
- When dividing the dough into 3 or 4 parts, it’s better to roll a log and cut with pizza cutter. Do not tear it with hands as it may destroy the gluten developed during rising.
- If you can keep only two strombolis in your oven or you want to use just half the dough, then after deflating and dividing, pack the remaining half in cling film, place it in an airtight container and keep in refrigerator up to 24 hours.
- Strombolis rise during rising time as well during baking, so it is necessary to keep a substantial gap between the two otherwise they may stick to each other. Covering them with a damp cloth makes them soft.
- If it tears while rolling or sealing, feel free to cover with a little dough, like patchwork.