Hot n Crispy Pinwheel sandwich is one of my favourite snack items. I just love it.
Not only me but everyone in my family is crazy for these.
Pinwheel Sandwich is also a wonderful starter to be served in your parties.
My guests have always loved it. Whoever eats it once wants to have more and more of it.
Made with very few ingredients, just 4, it is a wholesome snack in itself.
Yes, wholesome as it is not required to be served with any dip/sauce.
And the best thing is that you make it in advance. The rolls are made and kept in the refrigerator. At the time of serving, take out, cut roundels, saute in little oil and are ready to be served.
Some people like it raw but trust me, when cooked a little, just 1 to 2 minutes only, their taste changes altogether and you can’t resist yourself.
Making Pinwheel sandwiches is quite easy. Only 4 ingredients are required but you need to prepare them in advance.
Let’s see how to make these sandwiches…
For making pinwheel sandwich, first of all, one long slice is made using three slices of bread.
For making this, take three bread slices and flatten them with a rolling pin.
Apply water with a brush on the right edges of the first two slices.
Place three slices slightly overlapping each other.
Press the joints again with the rolling pin so that it becomes one long piece. Water applied will help the slices to stick with each other.
Now apply coriander chutney, potato filling and tomato ketchup on the three slices.
Start rolling from one end
Do not worry about the loose ends or shape. Place this roll on a piece of aluminum foil.
Roll it again and now tighten it. As you tighten the foil, the roll takes proper shape.
Make as many rolls as you want to and keep them in the refrigerator.
Take out, remove the foil and cut roundels using a sawing motion.
Or, Splutter mustard seeds in little oil and cook these roundels from both the sides just for 30 seconds or so or till gets crisp.
Serve hot and crispy Pinwheel Sandwiches…
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 2-3 minutes
Makes: 2 Rolls
For Pinwheel Sandwiches
6 Bread Slices, edges trimmed
2 Tbsp Green Coriander Chutney
2 Tbsp Tomato Ketchup/Pizza Sauce
2 Potatoes Filling
1 tsp Cooking Oil
1/4 Tsp Mustard Seeds (Rai)
For Potato Filling
2 Potatoes, Boiled
1 tsp Cooking Oil
1/4 Tsp Cumin Seeds or Mustard Seeds ( Jeera or Rai)
Salt to taste
Red Chilli powder to taste
Dry Mango Powder to taste
For making Potatoes filling
- Mash boiled and peeled potatoes.
- In a pan, heat 1 tsp oil. Crackle mustard seeds, add mashed potatoes. Season with salt, chilli powder and dry mango powder.
- Let it cool down.
For Pinwheel Sandwiches
- Take 3 bread slices, whose sides have been trimmed.
- Brush water on the right edge of the first two bread slices.
- Place bread slices in such a way so that one slice is slightly overlapping the previous slice.
- Now, with a rolling pin, flatten all three slices in such a way that it becomes one long slice.
- Spread coriander chutney on the first slice.
- Spread potato filling in the center and tomato ketchup on the remaining part.
- Start rolling from one end.
- Do not try to roll hard or to give it smoothness at this stage. (See Note 1)
- Place this roll on aluminum foil and roll the foil with the rolled sandwich in it.
- Tighten the roll as much as you want so that it gets tight and holds a proper shape.(See Note 2)
- Repeat the process with other three bread slices.
- Keep the rolls in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
- Take out the rolls, remove the foil.
- Cut roundels of the roll.
- Serve cold or for hot and crispy pinwheels, do as follows.
- Put a little oil in a pan/skillet. When slightly hot, splutter mustard seeds and put the roundels.
- After 20 to 30 seconds, toss them and cook the other side too.
- When both sides get crispy serve with love.
- It might break/crumble if you press too hard at this stage.
- Once in the foil, the roll is protected and you can press it easily.
- You can keep the rolls in refrigerator easily for a week or so.
- Use Paneer Bhurji (Crumbled Cottage cheese) in place of potatoes.
- You can also any left over vegetable instead of potatoes.
- If you want t have these cold then apply mayonnaise or grated Cheese in place of potatoes.
If you try this recipe or have tried any of my other recipes, then please leave a comment, with your experience and suggestions, if any.
Also, join me on my Facebook page for other interesting tips n tricks.
Let’s move together…