Banana Walnut Chocolate Muffins…. Wow !!!! What a wonderful combination.
And when made with whole wheat flour then it becomes the perfect choice for breakfast.
In fact, it can be had at any time of the day.
Also can be easily packed in your little one’s lunch box too and they will take it with pride.
The recipe is extremely simple and hassle free. All the ingredients are always there in your kitchen, so no special shopping. You can make them in just 10 minutes and then another 15-17 minutes in the oven. By the time your oven gets preheated, your batter is ready.
These are made best with over ripe bananas. Bananas, which have lost their colour, gone extremely soft, which normally no one likes to eat, are ideal for making banana bread or cake or muffins. Well, this does not mean by any chance that you cannot use fresh bananas. Use as per availability.
Whenever I have over ripe bananas, which no one is willing to eat, I make these muffins and they are finished in no time. But I do not use walnuts as my son Siddharth like these plain, without nuts.
You can make these muffins either in oil or in butter. I use either Nutralite butter or any oil which is there in my kitchen at that time, be it groundnut or olive or any other.
Earlier I used to make these without curd, but recently I thought of giving it a try with curd, and the results were awesome, Muffins came out to be super spongy.
Now, these muffins have bananas, walnut, wheat flour and the flavour of chocolate. What else can be more healthy than this ?
Also, easy to make, quick to make with very few ingredients that too readily available all the time in your kitchen.
Absolutely no reason to say no to these.
Of course, you can always omit cocoa powder and go for Banana Walnut Muffins.
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Baking time : 16 minutes
Yields : 10-11 muffins(depends on the size of muffin liners)
1 Cup ( 120gms) Whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp Cocoa powder
1/2 Cup Sugar (See Note 3)
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/4 tsp Baking soda
1/8 tsp Salt (See Note 4)
1/4 Cup Oil or melted butter
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
1/2 Cup Milk, lukewarm
1 Tbsp Curd
2 Bananas, pureed
1/4 Cup plus 1 tsp Walnuts, chopped
1 Tbsp Chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 C for 10 minutes. While the oven is getting prepared you also do the following preparations.
- Line muffins liners in the muffins pan.
- Reserve 1 tsp flour and sift the remaining flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt .
- Put the sifted ingredients in a big bowl.
- Add sugar and mix.
- Make a well in the centre, by taking everything towards the wall of the bowl.
- In the well, put wet ingredients in the given order- oil, vanilla extract, banana puree,milk, curd.
- Mix everthing very lightly.
- Mix chopped walnuts (1/4 cup) with 1 tsp flour (reserved in step no. 3) (See Note 6)
- Add these flour mixed chopped walnuts and mix.
- Adjust consistency with milk, if required. Though keep it slightly on the thicker side.
- Fill muffins liners upto three fourth.
- Sprinkle some walnuts and choco chips (optional).
- Bake for 15-16 minutes.
- Check for doneness of the muffins by inserting a wooden skewer.
- If baked properly then take out. If not, then bake for 2 or 3 minutes more.
- After taking out, keep the muffins on a wire rack. This is necessary so that they do not get soggy at the bottom.
- Remains good at room temperature for up to 2 days. For longer duration keep them in refrigerator after keeping in an air tight container.
- Serve with a smile. A cup of coffee of would also go with it but optional.
- Please use standard measuring cups only. Don’t use cups available in your kitchen for tea, coffee etc as they are of varied sizes. 1 Cup = 200 ml
- Quantity of walnuts and chocolate chips can vary depending upon your taste.
- Use normal sugar, castor or powdered not required.
- Salt is added to enhance the flavour of sugar.
- Can make this with 1 banana also, but then again its a matter of choice.
- Mixing walnuts with flour ensures that the nuts are evenly distributed and don’t settle at the bottom of the muffins only.
- Thick batter will give a rocky texture muffins. If you like smooth top, then go for batter with a dropping consistency.
- Do not over mix the batter. Mix it lightly.
- Can make these with all purpose flour also or even half of each flour.
- You can omit cocoa powder if wish to have pure banana flavour. In that case, add 2 tbsp wheat flour more and rest of the ingredients will remain the same .
Step by Step Instructions
Thanks for stopping by…
If you have liked this recipe, then please leave a comment, with your suggestions, if any.
Also, join me on my Facebook page.
Let’s move together…