Tabbouleh, a Summer Salad is a Middle Eastern salad made with Bulgur (dalia) as the main ingredient.
- Roast Bulgur on medium flame till light golden colour.(See Note 1)
- Soak Roasted Bulgur in very little water for roughly 15 minutes. In this time, bulgur will swell up absorbing all the water.(See Note 2)
- While the bulgur is being soaked, use this time in chopping cucumber, tomatoes, spring onion and parsely/mint.
- Take soaked Bulgur in a big bowl, add all the chopped veggies, salt and vinaigrette.
- Add lemon juice, if required.
- Toss nicely, cover with cling film and chill in fridge.
- Serve with love.
- If taking roasted bulgur then skip the first step.
- Ensure that after soaking, there is no water in the bowl. In case some water is left after soaking bulgur then keep it in a colander for few minutes.
- After soaking, bulgur will get double in volume, like 1 cup roasted Bulgur will become almost 2 cups. So take accordingly.
- Chop spring onion along with leaves.
- Chop cucumber and tomatoes very finely so as to go nicely with little granules of Bulgur.
- Parsely, mint as well spring onion leaves give very good taste to the salad, so use them liberally. In case, parsley is not available then use the only mint.(even I used only mint).
- In the water used for soaking bulgur, you can even put the lemon zest, mint and parsley stems for flavouring. Later, just remove these.
- Tastes best when cold.
Vinaigrette is a French Dressing for salads made mainly of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Vinegar and some herbs.
You can use any vinegar be it White Wine or Balsamic or any other.
Since Balsamic Vinegar is very strong in flavour as compared to other kinds of vinegar, then reduce the quantity of vinegar if using it.
For the purpose of this salad, we take olive oil and vinegar in the ratio of 2:1
That means if you take 2 tbsp of oil then add 1 tbsp of vinegar to it.
As we all know, oil and vinegar don’t mix up.
For making Vinaigrette, take a small bottle, put both olive oil and vinegar and shake vigorously.
Your Vinaigrette is ready.
You can add herbs etc in it if the recipe calls for.
Make sure to shake the bottle again before adding it to the salad.
This is because, when left for some time, oil and vinegar separate out again.
Alternatively, you can whisk both oil and vinegar in a bowl, in case the bottle is not available.
I have used Distilled White Vinegar in this recipe.
So for Tabbouleh salad, vinaigrette recipe goes like this…
4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Distilled White Vinegar
Just put both the ingredients in a small bottle.
Shake shake shake…
And your Vinaigrette is ready to go into your tabbouleh salad.
- You can make this salad with Bulgur, without roasting also.
- Use quinoa or couscous or Samak rice in place of bulgur.
For quinoa, cook it in boiling water for 5-7 minutes or till done, strain and proceed as for bulgur.
Taan hai a-roi !!!! (Have a nice meal)…
See you soon with other Yummy treats…
Would love to hear your comments and feedback.
You can leave your comments here in the comments section below.
If you like this recipe, do join me on my facebook page.