What is Hung Curd?
How to make Hung Curd?
Hung curd simply means curd from which all water has been removed.
Yes, when we remove all the water content from curd it is called hung curd.
The quantity of water content and time to remove it depends on the consistency of your curd.
For making hung curd, place a colander on a big bowl.
Now, put your curd in this colander. Cover it and leave it in refrigerator overnight or for at least 3-4 hours.
It is kept in the refrigerator so that it does not get sour due to heat in the room temperature. However, in peak winters, you can keep it outside refrigerator also.
In the morning (or after 3-4 hours), you will see that lot of water from curd gets collected in the bowl and curd is like a thick mass of cream.
This hung curd is used for various purposes like for making dahi kabab, cheesecake, dips, marination of Paneer tikka, Coleslaw Sandwich
Water which gets collected in the bowl is called ‘Whey’.
Please do not throw away this whey.
It is quite sour in taste and can be used for many purposes.
Fill it in a bottle and store in the refrigerator and use for any of the following purposes :
- Add in gravies: Instead of adding curd or dried mango powder (amchoor/ khatai) or lemon juice in your gravy, use this whey.
- Make Kadhi with this. You will love it. Mix gram flour (besan) in this water and proceed as usual.
- Make Instant Idli/ Dhokla batter with this whey.
- Add while making Cakes.
- Use this as a starter while setting curd next time, however, use little more quantity.
- Note: For making Dahi kabab and cheesecake, you need to keep this longer in strainer. In fact, toss it in between. Ensure that almost all the water in it drains out.
- Dilute it further and put it in your plants as this is rich in minerals.
- Use it for washing your hair.
- Knead flour with this water for extra soft and white chapatis.
Would love to hear your comments and feedback.
You can leave your comments here in the comments section below.
If you like this post, join me on my Facebook page for more tips and tricks.