Fruit Cake or Tea time cake, as the name suggests this cake is a perfect accompaniment to tea.
So, here we go with our recipe of heavenly delicious Fruit Cake.
- Take a 8″ by 4″ rectangular cake tin. Brush it with oil and dust with flour. Or simply line it with parchment paper. Keep it aside.
2. Preheat oven to 180º C for 15 minutes.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt at least 3 times, for better aeration, which in turn will make the cake light.
4. Keep aside 1 tsp dried fruits for topping and mix the remaining in this mix so that they are properly coated with flour. ( See Note 4 ).
5. In a bowl, take condensed milk, oil and vanilla extract and mix thoroughly, for approx. 1 minute.
6. To this, add the dry mix of flour and nuts in 2 or 3 batches.
7. Adjust consistency using aerated soda water. ( See Note 5 )
8. Pour this cake mix into the prepared cake tin.
9. Sprinkle crushed nuts on the top. This step is optional
10. Tap the tin, 2-3 times. This is done to release air bubbles in the cake batter if any.
11. Bake at 180 degrees centigrade for 35-40 minutes. (see Note 6 )
12. The cake is ready when a toothpick inserted in its centre comes out clean.
13. After taking out of the oven, wait for 2-3 minutes and then loosen the sides with a butter knife.
14. Now invert the cake tin on a wire rack and tap to remove. ( See Note 7 )
15. Once cooled, cut it into slices and serve with tea/ coffee/ smoothies.
16. Can keep this at room temperature for 2-3 days, depending on the weather. If kept in the refrigerator, even lasts for about a week.
- Please use standard measuring cups and spoons only. Never ever use cups lying in your kitchen for tea/ coffee, as they are of varied sizes.
- Can make this cake with all purpose flour(maida) also. Can even use half of each flour, that is, 1/2 cup wheat flour and 1/2 cup all purpose flour. In case you make it with all purpose flour, adjust the quantity of aerated soda water, requires less quantity.
- You can use any oil, be it refined, olive, canola or any other. Avoid coconut oil as it has very strong flavour. I used canola oil here. Have used refined oil too in the past many times.
- Mix dried fruits in the dry flour only, to ensure their even distribution in the cake. If added to the batter they tend to sink down and will be only in one part of the cake.
- Add soda water in the last, when your oven is ready. Immediately after adding soda water, pour it into the baking tin and straight into the oven.
- Baking time may vary from oven to oven, so keep a check 25 minutes onwards.
- Always invert cake on a wire rack otherwise it will turn soggy from the bottom.
- Can increase or decrease the quantity of dried fruits. In the case of non-availability of tutti frutti, you can this make only with nuts also like almonds, cashews, walnuts, raisins, dates etc. But I prefer tutti frutti as it makes the cake colourful also.
- Salt is added to enhance the flavour of the sugar, so go ahead.
- No sugar is required as we are using condensed milk.
- In case, the top gets cooked fast, whereas bottom part needs more cooking, then cover the top part with aluminium foil.
- You can also bake this cake in disposable baking pans. In that case, no need to grease it or line with parchment paper. Simply pour the batter and bake.
You can leave your comments here in the comments section below.
If you like this recipe, join me on my facebook page.