Apple crumble is one of my favourite dessert. Simply love it.
Though it is a very popular dessert, but I tried home made apple crumble first time at a friend Neera Khanna’s place. She had made it soooo nicely. Texture, aroma, presentation….everything was out of the world.
I couldn’t resist myself and yes you are right. I asked her the recipe and since then it is a regular in my house too.
I have made it umpteen times. Every time it has win hearts and bring me applauds. Thanku so much Neera.
Once again, I have used both whole wheat flour as well all purpose flour…. half each.
Apples with cinnamon is a deadly combination. Though it can be had any time of the year but in winters it is just apt…. as it is hot and has cinnamon too.
Sizzling hot apple crumble served with ice cool vanilla ice cream tastes heavenly.
Let’s get started….
Preparation time : 30 minutes.
Baking time : 25 to 30 minutes.
Serves : 4-6 people
4 Tbsp Wheat flour ( Atta )
4 Tbsp All Purpose Flour ( Maida )
4 Tbsp Butter, cold
2-3 Tbsp White Sugar (Granulated )
2 Tsp Cinnamon powder
2 Lemons, juice squeezed
7-8 Tbsp Brown sugar
3-4 Tbsp Raisins ( optional)
1. Grease an oven proof dish and keep it aside.
2. Take wheat flour and all purpose flour in another bowl. Mix well.
3. Add sugar and pieces of cold butter in the flour mix.
4. Rub butter in the flour till the mix resembles crumbs. Keep it aside.
5. Peel and core apples.
6. Cut thin slices of apples.
7. Mix lemon juice, brown sugar and cinnamon powder in the apple slices and toss gently.
8. Assemble everything as given under.
1. Preheat oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes.
2. Spread a layer of flour crumb mix in the greased dish.
3. Arrange cinnamon – sugar coated apple slices over the crumb mix
4. Sprinkle raisins.
5. Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4.
6. Cover with lot of crumb mix, dot with butter.
7. Cover with lid or foil.
8. Bake at 180 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
9. Remove the lid/foil in the last 5 minutes so that crumbs become crisp and brown in colour.
10. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and loads of smiles.
- While cutting apples, keep the apple slices in a bowl of water to prevent discolouration.
- Use cold butter only for better results.
- If required, can assemble everything and keep in refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
Use pears / peaches in place of apples.
Would love to hear your comments and feedback.
You can leave your comments here in the comments section below.
If you like this recipe, please follow me on my Facebook page for more interesting tips and tricks.